You can type here any text you want

Stage II cam questions...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BLACK MAGIC RACING

formerly turbo_canuck
I have a stage 2, 274 off-center 4.1 block, 274 c.i.d. Champion gn 1's, pt-70gtq, 95 lb injectors. just waiting for some time off to go to jack cotton's for the FAST install. in the meantime, using a t-plus with extender extreme chip. the cam is a hyd. roller, 218-212. i'm thinking this is a bit small for a big cube engine... as the motor only pulls to about 6000rpm. is the cam in this block the same as a 109? are there specific cams for on and off center? would the stage 2 cams listed on comp cam's website work? or would they be too big? the smallest one is a 264-268, 650 lift. any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

No the S2 heads ones will not work; The S2 heads app has different port placement and thus different lobe ordering. Yes the cam is probably way too small really, but depending entirely on your personal goals of course :)

Even if this is mostly a streeter, I would still rec at least a ~ 230'ish duration cam for it.

TurboTR

any idea where i can get a wider cam selection? if i have stock config. heads (GN1's) cams are the same as a 109?

I think you are reading the Comp catalog wrong. If you looking for a hyd roller just go to hyd roller lobe spec section. I use pg 243 in the lastest catalog for the cam lobe specs. You just call up Comp and tell them you want lobe number ground for a Buick Turbo V6. Even though it says small block, the cam is ground for your engine type.

I'm assembling my 109 block with lobe number 3192.

Hope this helps.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Stage 2 cam fits on or off center with stage 2 heads
THe difference in cams is because of the different valve
location on stage 2 heads

Thanx 4 the reply Otto, I was kinda kickin myself for asking such an obvious question... :rolleyes: Is there any special machining required to install a stage 2 cam?

To answer your earlier question, yes, if you have production style (GN1) heads, you can use the same cams you'd use in a stock block, including the hydraulic rollers. Call up Comp and order what you like, lots of choices.

You can't use a solid roller intended for a S2 headed motor unless you switch heads, which I assume isn't what you're after. :)

I believe the same maching as a billet roller for production heads.

I dont believe so. The machine work would be to the nose (front section of the cam) but that machining depends on the cam retention hardware used.So the same work that is needed in a stock block to the cam is needed.

turbo_canuck said:
What about SII heads/cam? any special machining?

Like Otto says, just depends on the retention system. More to the point, however, the S2 heads require a different intake, headers, valve train, etc. etc. Basically you'd be building a whole new combination.

Get ahold of Cal Hartline, I believe he has a new set being finished as we speak

Back