You can type here any text you want

Stage II virgin questions.....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trbobuick

Boost addict
Went down to Odell Cantrells ( one of THE nicest men ive meet in a long time) this weekend to get one of his off center 4.1 s2 blocks and i have a couple of questions....

This is going to be a 271 cube street motor.....

Steam holes? i know to use a gasket and drill between the cylinders in the block. When i drill the head holes, is it straight on or like a 400 chevy where one of the holes is at an angle?

This block is set up for wet sump with the pickup by the number one main. i look in the front of the block and the hole where the pickup galley meets the cover, it is tapped and a plug with an allen head has been screwed down just past the pickup point.
leave it there or do i need to take it out?

I know the cam bearings are diffrent( thanks o.c.) any other tidbits i need to know?

Im going to read my power source manual about 7 more times and try and catch everything but im sure there have been tricks learned since the printing date of 85. :)

Thank you in advance
Im sure im going to owe a lot of beers to you guys for all the "hand holding" :)

The allen bolt you are talking about is used to hold down the oil pickup. That is removed, be sure to use a o-ring to seal the pickup tube. I also used a bracket and a windage tray main stud to secure the pickup to the the #3 main cap. If there is a plug on the front of the block where the pickup goes into the front cover, you will need to remove it.

My steam holes are drilled straight through the deck.

Just a recommendation: get the "Buick Stage 2 Racing Engine" booklet, author Dave Emmanuel, 1987. Small book, maybe 35 pages. It's got some later information than the Power Source book. One more idea: why not forget about the internal oil pickup, and go with an external pickup, either Duttweiler pump, or follow the instructions in the Power Source book.
Best of luck, and welcome to the dark side money pit! (Just kidding. You'll have a blast.)

Originally posted by Mac in SD
Just a recommendation: get the "Buick Stage 2 Racing Engine" booklet, author Dave Emmanuel, 1987. Small book, maybe 35 pages. It's got some later information than the Power Source book.
Do you happen to have an ISBN number on this booklet? I looked on Amazon by title as well as author but no luck. Know where it can be had?

ted-

we meet at m7..... im going to have to have you come over for a beer and ill show you what i mean. the HEADS is what i am worried about. tom at champion is sending me a template for the heads as it is not straight on.

mac- thanks.. ill look for that book. whats nice is the LACK of machine work i need to do... notched bores for big crank...wet sump, ect. but i know im in for a money sucker.

thanks everybody.....

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
Do you happen to have an ISBN number on this booklet? I looked on Amazon by title as well as author but no luck. Know where it can be had?

Barnes and Noble was able to order it for me, probably like 2 years ago. Its decent.

Originally posted by RealFastV6
Barnes and Noble was able to order it for me, probably like 2 years ago. Its decent.
Ahhh, found it. exact title is "Buick Stage II V-6 Racing Engine The Complete Preparation Guide for NASCAR, Grand National, and Short Track Racing".

Format: Paperback, 36pp.
ISBN: 0942099001
Publisher: Performance Publishing
Pub. Date: November 1987

B&N doesn't stock it like you said but looks like you can order it. Amazon does not have this book listed either by title or ISBN.

I searched for used copies but none were found. Also seached eBay and no copied found...
:confused: :mad: :(

There's a few of those little "Buick Stage II V-6 Racing Engine The Complete Preparation Guide for NASCAR, Grand National, and Short Track Racing" books around. I paid way too much on ebay for mine, then went to the GS Nats and saw boxes of 'em for $5 each. First time that's ever happened to anybody, right? :D :D :D

Originally posted by Mac in SD
There's a few of those little "Buick Stage II V-6 Racing Engine The Complete Preparation Guide for NASCAR, Grand National, and Short Track Racing" books around. I paid way too much on ebay for mine, then went to the GS Nats and saw boxes of 'em for $5 each. First time that's ever happened to anybody, right? :D :D :D
I never over pay for things, I just buy/do everything twice. I'm not sure which is worse! :)

Persistence will pay off. I'm sure I'll find one in time, at least now I know what to pay if I ever have the chance to buy one! Thanks for all the info!

Back