You can type here any text you want

stage1 compared to stage 2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tom j

What are pro's and con's over the other besides cubic inches .

The block castings are the same so there is no difference in displacement for the same casting. The 25500012 is a 3.8 liter and the 25500016 is a 4.1 liter. Stage I's come with 2 bolt cast iron main caps, Stage II's have 4 bolt center main caps that are steel. Later versions of the Stage II Off center blocks had 3 steel main caps then all 4 steel main caps depending on vintage. Stage II's have a different oiling system and come drilled for 14 bolt heads. Stage I's can be drilled for 14 head bolts but originally have only 8 head bolt holes per side.

Neal

tom j said:
What are pro's and con's over the other besides cubic inches .

Stage 1's usually crack between the two frost plugs for some reason, not sure why. Sometimes making it impossible to repair.

I've seen that happen in both Stage I's and II's. 3.8's are the worst for it. Personally I won't build a 3.8 liter Stage block. That's just me.

Neal

norbs said:
Stage 1's usually crack between the two frost plugs for some reason, not sure why. Sometimes making it impossible to repair.

I have a q what is the diferance beetween 3.8 and 4.1 is it the bore? gnfoosball

The bore size is what accounts for the difference in displacement. The 2 block castings are different. The 4.1 liter block has siameese cylinder bores which actually adds to the structural integrity of the block. Standard bore on a 3.8 block is 3.800" a 4.1 block is 3.965".

Neal

GNFOOS said:
I have a q what is the diferance beetween 3.8 and 4.1 is it the bore? gnfoosball

Neal- could you explain alittle more about the siamesse bores-what are the physical appearance differences? is it how they are cast?

49-blues said:
Neal- could you explain alittle more about the siamesse bores-what are the physical appearance differences? is it how they are cast?

On siamese bores, there are no water passages between adjacent cylinders. On non-siamese, the cylinders are surrounded all the way around by water. It's how they're casted.

thanks- i would think that having coolant around the cylinders would help in the combustion process.

Back