stall converter

S

SR-71

hi guys i just purchased an 87 gn great looking car run good but i will be needing a new converter in about 10,000 miles i have no aftermarket products but i will be adding them on:D my question is does anyone know where i can pick-up a good stall converter for a fair price and more inportant what kind should i put on there i have no-idea on this one i'll be depending on what you guys say alot i could you the help, so the more respond the better , my e-mail is badasbuick@aol.com

thanks, carlos

hard to recomend a converter when the converter needs to match the mods you will be doing.

its a team efford all your parts need to work together to get it to the wheels.

If you list what you will be doing to it then some of us can help you out.

there are many different converters out for theses in a wide veriety of sizes shapes and prices.

if you will not be going any bigger than a ta-49 or te 44 turbo then you are better off saving your money and keeping the stock D5 converter .

both the turbo's mentioned are fine to mid 11's or a lil better with the stock converter

If you do put much stall in it being stock the car will slow down since you'll be getting up and beyond your torque range

Put the D5 back on there. Cheap and effective. :)

Unless you are seriously planning a much bigger turbo.

converter

FIRST OF I WANT TO SAY THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED
THANKS THE HELP IS AWSOME, I PLAN ON PUTTING A CHIP, K-N AIR FILTER, ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR,PILLAR MOUNTED BOOST GAGE I'M KIND OF LIMITED TO $1,000 FOR NOW (CONVERTER ASIDE) NOW IF YOU GUYS KNOW A BETTER WAY TO SPEND $1000 DOLLARS PLEASE BY ALL MEANS TELL ME I WILL EVENTUALLY CHAGE THE STOCK TURBO TO A T-49,BUT THATS A GOOD 6 MONTHS AWAY, I THINK I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE AND ORDER THE D-5 CONVERTER IT'S CHEAP AND GETS THE JOB DONE FOR NOW. THANKS AGAIN GUYS I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP, PLEASE IF YOU GOT IDEAS OF HOW TO SPEND A GRAND OTHER THAN WHAT I MENTIONED PLEASE LET ME KNOW.:)

THANKS, CARLOS

carlos if you want some more POWER get an adjustable waste gate so you can crank up the boost ,3 inch downpipe and a street chip and some slicks and youll be having some fun and running 12 s .a thousand should just about cover it .www.ckperformance.com

$1,000 bucks

thanks chris, i'll check out ckperformance.i thought that would actually cost more, and the car running 12s would be real nice.:D
thanks again, chris i have not meet anybody here where i live with a turbo buick, all they have are these sorry ass mustangs with a dam flowmaster muffler makes me want to fix my car up even faster, so i can shut them up! big time.

thanks again chris and everyone else in the buick family for helping out, with you guys helping out i'll put those mustangs right where they belong- LOOKING AT MY TAIL LIGHTS :D

thanks, carlos

Go under the car and take off the 4 screws for the inspection cover that sits between the engine and transmission. It has a hole in the bottom that probably has a bit of oil on it.

Once you have the cover removed, it comes right off easily, then look around the torque converter in the car and it should have numbers stamped on it all around the thing.

Faint D should be stamped with a clearly stamped 5 on it.

That would be the factory one.

If it isn't factory post what you find such as other numbers or stickers etc. Maybe it can be identified.

What started this search for a new torque converter to begin with anyway???

converter

salvagev6, the guy who i am buying the car from told me that the converter makes alittle bit of noise when the car is stopped but when it moves there is no noise, he told me he knows its the torque converter he said it should last about another 10,000 miles
mind you i pick the car up this saturday i have to travel to N.Y.City from miami to pick it-up( they cost to much down here) he has a 400 horsepowered mustang and assures me that the car runs great.I just thought if i have to change the converter i might as well put something a little better,but dam do the good ones cost!
and by the feedback i have gotten the regular d-5 (which is what i should have ?) works good enough until i get real serious.
i just have to find a place from the web sites given to me that has a d-5 for a good price. question#2 do you think a shift-kit is a good idea to add??

thanks, carlos:)

A shift kit is always a good idea. Helps the longevity and reliability of the transmission.

Both http://www.ckperformance.com and http://www.2004rPerformanceCenter.com/ sell excellent shift kits.

Also, Look into a external transmission cooler if your GN doesnt have one. The power that the Turbo V6 puts out creates a lot of heat in the torque converter. Also Improves reliability of the transmission.

78oldscutlass

PS= by the way, this is my 2 cents.

Re: converter

Originally posted by CARLOS ELVIRO
the converter makes alittle bit of noise when the car is stopped but when it moves there is no noise, he told me he knows its the torque converter he said it should last about another 10,000 miles

Hmmm...since I don't know the inner workings of a torque converter, could someone explain what inside the converter could be rattling but then goes away once the car is moving.

Thanks.

a broken off fin from the drive or driven section ,or excessive clearance removed when rpm thrusts parts in a different direction eliminating noise

Mine did that in the GN. Drove me crazy, well that's my excuse anyway.

Just got a new Eric Schertz tranny in the GN with my Vigilante 3K stall and no more noise.

Had that tranny rebuilt and put in the WE4 with a 3.2K stall Protorque.

Now I'm out of money but have 2 D5's and my original We4 tranny. :)

Carlos you should be able to find a good D5 in the parts for sale section or email Mike McCoy or Brian Weaver both found in the parts for sale section.

D5's run from $40-$80 or so used. Shipping is extra of course and they are rather heavy.

Just my .02

Yes there are other ways to go faster, but a good converter wouldn't hurt! I am just speaking from personal experience, but my first GN went 4 tenths quicker after the installation of a shift kit and 3000 stall Art Carr 9" non lockup. The car was all stock except open exhaust, chip, K&N, and 22psi with stock turbo and intercooler. The stock converter ballooned and took out the front pump ( what the trans shop said) after repeated 12.90 passes. I would question it's durability launching a full weight GN on slicks at 10 psi at any performance level!

I'm not sure of Art Carrs quality NOW. This was back in '87 when there was only one Art Carr, and was done by Level 10 before they were Level 10. LOL ...... AHHH the good ole days:) Yes, Level 10 was good years ago:rolleyes:

Anyway, do some more reading and ask what people are using that have the same combo you plan to have.

My current GN's stock trans took a sh!t on it's FIRST 11.80 pass:mad: Hi Bruce!:D

GREAT

SALVAGE, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU $40 OR $ 80 FOR A USED CONVERTER IS JUST AWSOME !!! EVEN IF IT'S A BIT MORE IT'S STILL ALOT LESS THAN $ 330.00 DOLLARS :D I'LL CHECK IT OUT RIGHT NOW .

THANKS AGAIN, CARLOS

P.S. HAY ! TOWMAN THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP.