You can type here any text you want

Standard 231 bearings VS Turbo 231 bearings?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

forcefed86

Is there a difference? Looking at a set of kings bearings. I don't see the turbo 231 bearings listed seperatly from the NA 231 v6. I know the turbo 231's have a slightly different crank and rods. Are the PN's for the bearings different as well? Anyone know the PN i need? Just built up and engine and I ran the Fed. mogul bearings that came with the summit rebuild kit. They are already differnt clearances across the bearing after 200 miles or so. .002 on the rods. the mains look good.

If anyone has a suggestion for a nice hard set of race bearings please feel free to chime in. Esp. if you know the PN!

The only race type bearing I've seen are the TRW brand being sold on ebay.

Thanks!

The crank and rods were the same dimension and all GM replacement engines used the same cranks turbo or not. Rods are the same in all.

Be carefull to hard a bearing will wear on crank.oil pressure should keep bearing off crank.check your oil pressure.did you check crank clearances on assy?
Doc

Be carefull to hard a bearing will wear on crank.oil pressure should keep bearing off crank.check your oil pressure.did you check crank clearances on assy?
Doc

Hard bearings will not wear the crank. Oil film prevents the parts from contacting each other.

Yes, I checked clearances before putting it together. The mains were a little tighter than .0020 Probably around .0018. The rods were right at a hair under .0020. Mains still look good. but when I used the plasti gauge on the rods you can see where the clearances started out at .0020 and were closer to the .0030 to the edge.

So there are 2 types of king bearings guessing I want to run the bi metal ones?

King Engine Bearings CR6614AM - King AM-Series Rod Bearings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

King Engine Bearings CR6664SI - King SI-Series Rod Bearings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Think I should replace the mains while Im in there as well?

Thanks all!

If I were home I could tell you which ones to get. I ordered mine from Full Throttle. But I'm in Bowling Green for the weekend.
Call Full Throttle tomorrow and they can tell you which ones are best.

Same with RJC I tried calling them today to order head gaskets! :) Thanks for the heads up I'll do that.

Bearings

Dumb ? here. If one takes good care of maintenance and if doing a rebuild, bearings appear to be in decent condition, no marks on the crank at all, is it advisable to just have the crank polished and replace bearings according to the #'s stamped on the bearings?

Dumb ? here. If one takes good care of maintenance and if doing a rebuild, bearings appear to be in decent condition, no marks on the crank at all, is it advisable to just have the crank polished and replace bearings according to the #'s stamped on the bearings?

I have done that myself. They had under 10K miles on them but while apart I did them & it was fine. Make sure to get the crank checked to be sure its only needing a polish.

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Engine builder came by last night to look things over. Says the bearings weren't hammered at all and there is no reason not to re-use all of them. He offered to coat the rod bearings which would tighten them up slightly and make them "as good as new". Main bearings all looked really good once we scuffed them up with some scotch brite. We are suspecting the graphite from the HG is what caused the minor scratching. There was no metal embedded in the bearings.

I'm wondering if at this point a coated bearing might tighten up the tolerances closer to the .015-.018 range. Vs new king bearings which would put them on the looser side of spec at .002.

Probably over analyzing this and either would be fine. I'm leaning toward just buying new bearings. Possibly having the new rod bearings coated?

Thoughts? Opinions?

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Engine builder came by last night to look things over. Says the bearings weren't hammered at all and there is no reason not to re-use all of them. He offered to coat the rod bearings which would tighten them up slightly and make them "as good as new". Main bearings all looked really good once we scuffed them up with some scotch brite. We are suspecting the graphite from the HG is what caused the minor scratching. There was no metal embedded in the bearings.

I'm wondering if at this point a coated bearing might tighten up the tolerances closer to the .015-.018 range. Vs new king bearings which would put them on the looser side of spec at .002.

Probably over analyzing this and either would be fine. I'm leaning toward just buying new bearings. Possibly having the new rod bearings coated?

Thoughts? Opinions?

I would agree with your thinking and just get new bearings, coating would seem like putting a bandaid on. For the slight extra cost, do it the right way.

If you suspect contamination, I'd have the block boiled.

Back