You can type here any text you want

Start Knock help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Back in the early 90's my car used to make the same noise, I am sure they were the lifters. I ran a can of Dura lube or T plus additive. I think they were the Teflon additives that were popular back in the days and the problem went away. That stuff really worked. They said that it puts a protective coating on all the hard parts that help with startup lubing.
HTH
Prasad

What lube stuff is on the market today?

Your problem is really pretty simple. Just throw out the delco junk filter and get anyone of a bunch of other good ones.

I use K&N (HP-2001). Mobile one filters and K&N are both made by the same company and are very high quality with a good anti-drainback valve (likely the problem with the newer crappy delcos).

Your problem is really pretty simple. Just throw out the delco junk filter and get anyone of a bunch of other good ones.

I use K&N (HP-2001). Mobile one filters and K&N are both made by the same company and are very high quality with a good anti-drainback valve (likely the problem with the newer crappy delcos).

I wish. I'm running a Baldwin.

Yep, ac delcos are now trash. Run a baldwin or wix. Mobil 1's aren't bad either. What's your hot idle oil pressure? Do you have forged pistons? And whoever suggested switching from synthetic to natural oil, for REDUCED start up knock, has got their wires crossed. It's the exact opposite. Try using 5w30 too. See if that helps.
Synthetic has been proven to stay on the cylinder walls a bit longer than dino. Not as a dry start as natrual oil. Also, if more than 5 days go by, without a start up, unplug your ecm wire, crank for a couple seconds, then plug your ecm wire back in. It primes the system a little bit before starting. I always do that myself.

Here's my update:

With both long AC and Baldwin still getting startup knock. After removing the Baldwin there was maybe 1.25 cups of oil in it. :eek: Next I installed a short version WIX. After startup and letting oil drain back I had to add an additional 1/2 qt. With the short WIX filter I’m seeing very minimal startup knock, PSI is immediate.

Back