You can type here any text you want

Starter question.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

82beforeblack

hi guys i have a 109 block carbed with long tube PaceSetter headers and my stock starter does not fit any more at the moment i have a powermaster 19000 in right now for a small block but it grinds like crap every other time i start it so i was jus wondering what other mini start there is for our block or what others have done to make the stock work. Thanks in advance

Your flywheels sounds like its messed up too check that out. But I heard the lt4 starter is a common upgrade. But on the starter grinding every other time my elco would do that went through a bunch of starters until I replaced the starter and the flywheels and made sure the teeth had the proper gap in them.

Inspect the flywheel for wear/damage, if good align the starter with the flywheel with the shim kit supplied with all new starters. The alignment will not cure a worn flywheel.

Shim it. Any SBC with inline bolt pattern will work. I am using a Summit brand pro starter or something like that. It is the same as an LT4 starter, but with a billet adjustable mounting block. The LT1 starters are hit and miss. I have seen and heard of the LT1 starters sold for the Buicks fail, and have seen replacement LT1 starters last 2 months. Any starter might require shimming.

Shim it. Any SBC with inline bolt pattern will work. I am using a Summit brand pro starter or something like that. It is the same as an LT4 starter, but with a billet adjustable mounting block. The LT1 starters are hit and miss. I have seen and heard of the LT1 starters sold for the Buicks fail, and have seen replacement LT1 starters last 2 months. Any starter might require shimming.

well how many shims do u think i need ive put two of the thickest shims on it and got the same thing where the starter grinds every once in awhile and jus totally eatting away the starter gear

ok so you'll want a stright line right?

Depending on which starter you get will depend on how you check the flywheel clearence. If it's a small PMG style or a conventional design you have a shaft that sticks out beyond where the gear rests when it's not spinning. The distance between the shaft and the teeth on the flywheel need a 1/8" clearence If I remember right.

If you have on of the gear reduction types like I've got for mine you need to pull the gear out and check the mesh of the teeth between the starter and the flywheel.

The PMG type and the gear reduction type are the smallest of the 3 designs that are used the most. If you do a search on evilbay for SBC mini starter you should get a good selection of them starting around $50 or so plus shipping.:)

ya well im at the shop now and have 2 mini starters with me for sbc. both jus hit when fly wheel when trying to ingage but its i slightly turn the flywheel it spins the motor but moves back and forward with a awful noise this is really getting to me now

Back