You can type here any text you want

Steel Caps?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gnturbosix

If the block doesn't need to be line bored, is it worth the extra money to install steel caps? Do the stock caps crack? I don't recall ever seeing someone mention a broken main cap. Looking for 11.0's.

If your goal is 11.0's then its a toss up I've seen it work both ways but if it was my car I woulf do only the 2 center caps...

Definetly do the center caps. I was running 11.30's @ 119 last year until I blew both headgaskets.

I took the entire engine apart and found that both center caps were walking pretty badly even though I was running arp main studs. Bad enough that it broke the webbing near the thrust cap.

IMHO I would do it. Any detonation at that power level could spell disaster.

Do a search and look around. There is many theories on this topic. I will say, a competant machine shop is crucial to installing steel caps on these engines. My last motor I took appart had worse bearing wear on the steel caps, then the ones that were stock.

There are plenty of stock cap engines that have been in the 9's, the tune is what matters.

You could always cryo the caps to stablize them. Not to expensive and helps alot.

Back