You can type here any text you want

Steel crank?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

baby6

One Fast Buick
Building a new motor for my car. 109 block, 2 billet main caps, molnar rods and wiseco pistons, etc... Aiming for low 11s high 10s. Should I spend the extra (a lot extra) cash for a forged crank and neutral balance flywheel/balancer, or go with a good stocker? Input is appreciated. Thanks guys

Go with a forged crank. You can get one for external balance. Flywheel and balancer not needed. Stock cranks flex under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave. I never fixed out that thrust bearing issue by the way (this is Alex) I am just going to build a motor and overhaul my trans (again) and not look back.

Unfortanutely will have to pass on it. Don't need anything that radical. Beautiful piece regardless :)

Go with a forged crank. You can get one for external balance. Flywheel and balancer not needed. Stock cranks flex under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't the counter weights look like swiss cheese when you do an external balance on a steel crank?

They make a steel crank with counterweight intended for external balance. Mike at FT carries them.

No cheese needed, just some cash!!

Go with the forged crank! The price you pay for peace of mind will far outweigh the $200 you save trying to buy a used stocker. Most of the used stockers go for $3-400 on here. You will be spending some cheddar to get your engine rebuilt, rotating assembly balanced, new pistons, hey what about the new comp cam, why not go roller.........yadayada. The list will never end. You got a game plan and a goal in mind so you are already 2 steps ahead in the game. If you build your above combo that you have listed and buy one of these used GTQ's or big PT's that's for sale now, you will easily exceed your goals. Low tens, high nines... what if you have a stock crank in there..... do I push it harder and see how fast it can go or dig into my motor again and replace the crank? Your honor the defense rests it case. Just kidding about this but better and better components and coming out every day to make the 109 live longer, run harder and make more power than ever before.

Thanks man, you and I are on the same page....I was thinking about the same thing, and you all helped me seal the thought. I received your pm by the way, thanks for the help!

Interesting.... To each his own; if your goal really is high 10's at best, there's nothing wrong with a good stock crank and rods. If you already have nice rods, pistons than so be it... nothing wrong with buying a steel crank at all. but I would spend the money elsewhere - specifically a nice torque converter or heads.

You have a thrust bearing issue it sounds? I wouldn't touch anything until you're 100% sure you know what caused it. although a steel crank likely won't "break" as easy as a stocker, you can still screw one up good with problems.

Yeah I have a thrust problem with my current motor, I believe it's the cranks thrust surface. I am building a separate motor and going over my trans again, also working the converter as well. I am building this motor so it is capable of multiple 10/9 second passes, but will go 11s no problem consistently.... I believe that would put a stock crank up to the challenge, and really don't wanna push it to the limits you know?

Yep. 11's are totally different than 9s.... You're like the rest of us, you say high 10s but really want high nines...lol

Lol so true....the car probably wont ever go that fast, but you never know. Past high 10s or so I am gonna have to upgrade my fuel delivery system. But by the time the motor is done, it probably wont be that big of a deal to upgrade. we'll see.....

Back