You can type here any text you want

steering column gauge pod

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LS954

MH-60S Airframer, USN!!
is there anyone that makes a steering column pod for a small tach? If not any ideas on how i could mount a small tach above the steering column? please no one mention mounting it with zip ties or anything else of the sort lol

get a really big radiator hose clamp- if you don't get one that's too long and put the screw head down, it looks pretty good.
that is the tried and true way of mounting a tach to the steering column- just make sure you realize that part of the column will twist when you move the shifter, so the tach will swing around if you mount it to that part.

hmmm sounds kinda tacky but i guess. Well on these cars the shifters down on the middle console so that wont be an issue.

hmmm sounds kinda tacky but i guess. Well on these cars the shifters down on the middle console so that wont be an issue.

Even though the shifter is in the console, the column will still rotate. 2 of my buddies have tachs on their column and they will move as you pull the shifter down. One has the tach where it sits level when its in park but sideways in drive, and the other has the tach sideways when in park but sits level when in drive.

Forget trying to mount any type of gauge on the steering column and you wont have to deal with the difficulties of an odd shaped column or the rotating assembly(all have it).

Why not just remove the shifter rod that goes from the steering column to the transmission shifter bracket,then the steering column won't rotate.:)

Why not just remove the shifter rod that goes from the steering column to the transmission shifter bracket,then the steering column won't rotate.:)

Because then you have no backup lights. that switch is on the steering column. The computer will also not have any info on whether the car is in gear or not (meaning no TCC lockup). Bad advice IMHO :rolleyes:

Because then you have no backup lights. that switch is on the steering column. The computer will also not have any info on whether the car is in gear or not (meaning no TCC lockup). Bad advice IMHO :rolleyes:

That's why i said why not. :rolleyes:

Now we know why,thanks. :wink:

I'm with Dave on this idea. Did I ever tell you how I drove my GN out through the back wall of the garage when I did a tranny swap and in my haste to finish the job I forgot to hook up this rod. They call it a neutral safety switch for a reason. The back up lights are just another redundent feature.:mad:

I bought a Stewart Warner gauge and used double sided tape to secure to the middle of the steering column. Or you can install a very short screw above were the turn signal shaft comes out to hold a tach there in the plastic cover also. Done it both ways with no issues.

Back