You can type here any text you want

Steering gets loose at higher speeds: What to check/replace?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sakudog

Looking for guidance and advice on resolving my issue! :)

Steering feels pretty solid at low speeds but at 40-70 the wheel can move 1-2" in either direction depending on speed with no/little impact on the direction of the car.

I've recently installed a Jeep steering shaft & that really improved the steering but this high speed slop is still there. Thanks for the help guys!

You'll need to do a complete front end inspection to see if there are other issues with the front. If none are found you probibly need a good alignment.

Charlie: Thanks and I figured as much regarding an inspection. Do you have a document, youtube video or website you would recommend to give me a procedure in what to check, how to check, the order to check it in? Thanks!

Charlie: Thanks and I figured as much regarding an inspection. Do you have a document, youtube video or website you would recommend to give me a procedure in what to check, how to check, the order to check it in? Thanks!
I can walk you through most of it. The alignment you can even do yourself if you want to try. Go to the main page of this section and there's a good sticky which include vids on how to do your own alignment. PM me your email and we can go from there for instructions on checking things out.:)

There is something else taking up that 1-2" in slop then. Have you rebuilt your front end yet? A nice moog rebuild kit is cheap and easy. I'd wait on the alignment until you install the SC&C stuff so you don't have to pay for it twice.

There is something else taking up that 1-2" in slop then. Have you rebuilt your front end yet? A nice moog rebuild kit is cheap and easy. I'd wait on the alignment until you install the SC&C stuff so you don't have to pay for it twice.
Very good info by Dave!

It could also be the steering gear box, I had just that same slop with a complete new front suspension and once I replaced my steering gear box there is absolutely no more slop in the front end at all... Not saying it couldn't be any of the other stuff, just something else to look into!

Please check back and let us know what you find or what it was..

GNS

Scott, which box did you use? I just rebuilt everything on the front end as well including a rebuilt Delco steering box. Everything is nice and tight, but there is about 1" of free play in the wheel. Its driving me nuts after all that money and work. Its definitely the box, everything else is great. Has a Jeep shaft too so its not the rag joint.

Scott, which box did you use? I just rebuilt everything on the front end as well including a rebuilt Delco steering box. Everything is nice and tight, but there is about 1" of free play in the wheel. Its driving me nuts after all that money and work. Its definitely the box, everything else is great. Has a Jeep shaft too so its not the rag joint.
I got my steering box from Kirbans...

More Caster in your alignment will take out slop at higher speeds.

Conversely, not enough caster will feel sloppier as speeds increase.

Worn/cracked Upper control arm bushings can mess with the caster.

Adjustable upper control arms adjusted for Caster is one of the the best things you can do for high speed steering stability.

Ball joints or wheel bearings? With the front tires off the ground, grab the tire from top with your left hand and bottom with your right hand and see if there is any in/out play. Do the same but grab the (passenger) tire from the door side with your left hand and headlight side with your right hand. Any play? Do the same for driver side tire.

Back