You can type here any text you want

still kinda idles rough, any suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel filter, pcv valve, and a few bad vac hoses. Even cleaned the carb up a little. Still kinda idles rough, noticed it surges at steady cruising speed too. Carb going south possibly? Still dogs on shifts somtimes too. It's getting really annoying and I hate not having stuff run right. I was thinking about turning the timing back up to 18 but there's no sense putting a band-aid on it. Don't these carbs have TPS on them? Could that cause it? I've also noticed my TC has locked up right away on third gear shift a couple times.

I am not sure which transmission your car has, but the converter issue sounds like it could be a TV cable adjustment. That could also cause the car to feel like its surging if the converter is locking/unlocking repeatedly.

How old is the O2 sensor. It's probably more important than plugs.

Yes there is a TPS inside the carb. A cheap scan tool (OTC monitor 2000) would be a good investment.

No haven't got to the o2 yet, will be next. I'll get the tps deal checked out sometime. It's got the 200c tranny I would expect. Is there any adjustment on those?

Been there/done that!Suggest checking for blown wastegate...my Dad loved to boost'er up and chop throttle @85-90mph in second."Majestic Turbo"'s rebuild lasted less than 10 minutes.I was not happy.All it takes is one backfire.

Got sick of cleaning the garage

so i dug into it a little. 2 carb bolts were loose by almost half turn witht he torque wrench. 2 vac lines were deteriorating and splitting in half. and the topper...my dumb ass went and put the spark plug wire retainer back on the cap. bad idea:mad: bent one of the posts on the cap. didn't check to see if it cracked anything but sure it did. also starting to think the driver's manifold is cracked too. Can't tell till I get the other leak behind the cat done first. Checked tps, .36-.40 closed and only 3.62 wot:confused: It climbs smooth, has 5 volt ref, etc. What's up with that? I'm also debating on removing the smog pump belt. From what the manual states is that it pretty much pumps air in constantly except for wot and deceleration. Haven't looked to see where the air goes but it probably goes to the intake. Good news though, it will squak at third way down with a wet tire on dry pavement:smile: Should I recheck the timing AGAIN after replacing the worn lines? Stilll haven't got a new o2 yet:redface: I've went 200 miles, 3/4 in town driving and still have a quarter tank of gas, does that seem right?
P.S. My car looks like quick6nkc's turbo limited, without the side lamps and that cool bubble thing on the hood!

The driver's side manifold tends to crack. They are the same as NA motor, so finding a replacement is easy.

The TPS sounds low. There is an adjustment under a little plug. TPS will affect the Torque Converter Clutch lock-up point. You need to pay attention to the idles stops on the other side of the carb when checking the lower TPS readings. Search here and TurboBuicks.com - TurboCharged Message Board Turbo Buick Grand National, T-Type, Turbo TransAm for TPS (in the before black sections). There has been alot of discussion about TPS and MAP readings.

AIR pump blows into the converter most of the time.
THE Smog Pump Thread - TurboBuicks.com

I looked over the top and bottom of the exhaust manifold, didn't see any cracks even when I looked up through the heat shield from the bottom. Guess I'll find out when I take it to the exhaust shop someday. When i checked the tps the car was warm and it even still idled at lowest speed when i pulled it in. Damn thing still won't turn the tire over off a dead stop. Don't get it. My friend had an 84 with a 3.8 with 275/60/15 bfgs on the back and it would turn over:confused: oh well. I think the tps is low too because I've noticed the converter locking up at just over 25 mph a few times. THAT'S ANNOYING! Just an FYI. If I remember correctly from last night I have now hit 250 miles on a tank of gas, and still have a little over an eighth left. Over half of my driving has been stop and go and short trips, with the a/c on.

Did a search can't find much on adjusting the tps. I know there's a plug thats gotta be knocked out to adjust it but don't know where it is and if I gotta adjust it at a certain idle step or if I can do it at normal operating temp. Just outta curiosity I was gonna checik voltage while its running.

Back