Stock 87 GN... thinkin bout alky

JonB12869

Hi everyone, I have an all stock 87' GN and I was wondering if an alky kit and a TurboTweak chip would be the way to go?

I am between that setup and this one: a TE-44, TT chip, and bigger injectors.

Which would you suggest and why? which would be more economic, hit me with some numbers.

Jonathan

Depending on what you mean by "all stock" you might want to first replace the fuel pump, spark plugs..bla bla bla..... the spring cleaning and recipe for speed from gnttype.org.

Assuming that is all on par, alky is a wonderful thing. I can run 23 pounds of boost on alky with my stock turbo and it really woke the car up.

I paid 350 for my setup and run 99% isopropyl form Meijer (49 cents per pint) so it is very affordable.

As for your other route (44 turbo, larger injectors...) you will still want to put alky on that setup as well. :)

The alky is going to do is let you run higher boost levels on pump gas so whether you stay stock or go to a 44..... you will want to crank the boost.

And cranking the boost is the number one cause of uncontrollable smiling.

Originally posted by JonB12869
Hi everyone, I have an all stock 87' GN and I was wondering if an alky kit and a TurboTweak chip would be the way to go?

I am between that setup and this one: a TE-44, TT chip, and bigger injectors.

Which would you suggest and why? which would be more economic, hit me with some numbers.

Jonathan

Now this assummes you have a scantool, updated fuel system, and the car is in proper tune. Now...

You'll be faster on 93 octane with an alky kit than with a turbo upgrade. On a stock turbo with an upgraded fuel pump, chip, injectors, adj fuel pressure regulator, and slicks.. low-mid 12's since you can turn up the boost into the 20's. Do the down pipe, IC neck, converter..dial it in high 11's are way possible. And on the stock stuff that inefficient IC will work better with the alky. Actually look at these two cars. One is in Florida

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140195

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141253

Your car with a 44 not changing the converter and running 16-17 PSI, be glad to break into the 13's. Now an updated converter 3000-3200, and the alky kit/race gas.. possibilities come up.

Bolt in kits for the GN are available from myself and SMC. Cost to do a system can range from 200 for a DIY(do it yourself) to 500.

Do some searching, make some calls..ask questions.. you'll be glad you did.

Julio

i was in the same situation as you. before i picked up razors alky kit i debated on getting injectors and turbo but then decided i would push the stock components to their limits before upgrading. people are able to get 110+ mph with the little T# on our cars. get razors kit, by the way. i highly reccomend it!
make sure you pick up a hotwired walbro 340 from racetronix and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. a scantool or soemthing else is A MUST. the aclohol kit really woke up my car. i was running 23lbs for a while and it was insane. now i have an ignition related problem with anything past 16lbs. make sure your car is running in top condition before you start playing with alky and turning up the boost. get some bigger tires too. my stock 215s only took about 6,000 miles to destroy.