You can type here any text you want

Stock block parts in a S2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Six_Silver

I have spent a lot of time reading this message board and have gained a ton of knowledge!

I would like to know if parts from a stock 109 block will bolt onto a S2 block. I am in the process of finding a off-center S2 shortblock and heads for my t-type. Can a stock intake manifold be used? Will all accessories bolt to the block? I would like to maintain a "stock" appearing engine while having a S2 shortblock and heads. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for any posts. This is a great message borad!

????'s

6 silver said.
"I would like to know if parts from a stock 109 block will bolt onto a S2 block. I am in the process of finding a off-center S2 shortblock and heads for my t-type. Can a stock intake manifold be used? Will all accessories bolt to the block? I would like to maintain a "stock" appearing engine while having a S2 shortblock and heads. Is this possible?"

Answer to first ?:
Yes, the crank and rods will fit, but not have the reliability to get the most out of the combo.
?2. The stage heads are a completely different design, including the intake/exh layout.
This requires a custom intake, headers, and cam.[Not to mention the hassles w/ the heater/AC box]
The words "stock appearing" no longer apply once you use the stage 2 heads...
;) ;)

Chuck:

Thanks for the fast reply! I know this sounds like a stupid idea, but can the heads be swapped too? If I had a set of ported 14 bolt GN1' for a stock block, will they fit on a S2? The reason I am considering S2 is for bottom-end reliablity. Im am not looking to go 9.50, but would like a solid, dependable 10.20 or so. If a set of GN1's will bolt onto a S2 block, I would like to go that route to keep the rest of the motor stock, and have a S2 shortblock. That way I can keep the stock header setup and not have as much to change. I can always upgrade later when I have the cash and want to go faster. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you again.

That will work fine..that's what the 14 bolt GN1s are made for, the S2 blocks. If you find an off-center, you can use your stock intake, and all stock accessories will mount up. Off-center S2s will have an internal oil pickup provision but will require a custom pickup and 14 bolt pan; Lee Thompson makes these, for one.

If you find an on-center, you'll have to do some more finagling including using a BGC or sheetmetal intake, going to the Duttweiler style external pickup oil pump, and some front cover/accessory drive alignment issues.

KendallF:

Thanks for the post. These were the answers I was looking for. Are the camshafts diferent? I have a Comp Cams hydrolic roller setup in my 109 block and would like to use it, or something similar, in the S2 motor. Can my roller setup be transfered to the S2 block or will I need to use a different camshaft setup? Thank you again.

James

One more thing before I forget---

Is the crank's stroke and the rod length different for a S2 or are those the same too? What is the CID of the S2's?

Originally posted by Six_Silver
KendallF:

Thanks for the post. These were the answers I was looking for. Are the camshafts diferent? I have a Comp Cams hydrolic roller setup in my 109 block and would like to use it, or something similar, in the S2 motor. Can my roller setup be transfered to the S2 block or will I need to use a different camshaft setup? Thank you again.

One more thing before I forget---

Is the crank's stroke and the rod length different for a S2 or are those the same too? What is the CID of the S2's?
James

If you use production style heads, the cams are the same. The S2 heads have a different valve layout and require dedicated cams. You can re-use your hydraulic roller with the GN1s.

The crank stroke and rod length can be whatever you buy and put in there..within reason of course. If you're spending the bucks for a billet crank and good rods, it makes sense to get as much stroke as you can. The most common rods range from 5.95 (stock) to 6.3 to 6.5". The 6.5" rods are about as long a rod as you can fit with a reasonable piston pin height and dish thickness. You'll order pistons according to what you end up with.

KendallF:

Thank you for the great info. Is there any difference between the S2 off-center blocks that I should be aware of? I can see that finding a S2 block is the hard part. Anything in particular I should avoid?

James

Back