stock block upper limits....

Chevota

So...my stock 60,000 mile unopened motor is making roughly 600hp. I recently went 10.17@130 with 30psi. Would stepping up from the te45a to a 70 series turbo pick up any? I'm thinking the efficiency of a 70 series turbo would allow me to run lower boost levels at the same or better MPH, but thinking the stock block might not like it. Whaddya guys think??

-scott wile

I would have to say that your short block without a girdle, or caps is on the breaking point with what you have.;) If you want to go faster, port the heads and crank up the boost ...... Make sure to stick a girdle on the next rebuild.. :D :D

Originally posted by strikeeagle
I think it's fair to assume his heads are ported...

:)

Actually they are NOT!!!! He has a stock longblock......

Next time don't ASSume:D

Originally posted by 86brick
Actually they are NOT!!!! He has a stock longblock......

Next time don't ASSume:D

Really at 600HP, I like to hear this one. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by njturbo
Really at 600HP, I like to hear this one. :rolleyes:

There was a guy down here named Jorge that had a 3000lb GN with a stock longblock and a combo VERY close to Scott's truck (66 turbo, FM IC, 72lb injectors if my memory serves me correct, and a ME chip) that I personally seen run 10.20's @131mph at a track rental (Bradenton Motorsports Park) right before he blew it up (from what I was told it had a good amount of passes on it before it broke)..... There were other TR people at this track rental that can vouch that what I'm saying is true and I'm sure to run those times at that weight (3000lbs) he had to be making around 600hp at the flywheel like Scott! Never say never!!!:cool:

Well lets see what the good ol' HP calculator says for Scott's truck......

http://home.neo.rr.com/jturrin/calchp1.htm

10.17 @130mph at 3000lbs........

HP at rear wheels based on ET = 563

HP at rear wheels based on MPH= 514

HP at rear wheels based on average of ET & MPH= 539

Approx Engine HP (Aver. rear wheel HP * 1.125)= 606:D

The #'s don't lie!

My double ball bearing 70 works great on my stock block.

Hope I'm nowhere near 600 HP however. :eek:

Can run 23psi on pump gas and alky. with it. 55lb. inj.

3200 stall is all you need too. :)

Hoping mine puts out 425-445 or so.

Hey Brick,

Just let me be sure I understand your posts.

You're saying the guy is making 600 HP with unported heads, right?

:D

Hey Brick,

Just let me be sure I understand your posts.

You're saying the guy is making 600 HP with unported heads, right?

Yes!!! A stock longblock means unported heads, stock cam, and the stock untouched bottom end (if you didn't know)....... Is it really that hard to believe?? Hell there are guys that have run in the high 10's with a stock longblock and a full weight (3600-3700lb) TR (to run high 10's with a full weight TR it takes 600hp at the flywheel) so why is it so hard to believe that a car or truck that is at least 600-700lbs lighter can run low 10's:confused:

Okay just went to the recipe page www.gnttype.org and looked at Tim Stockwell's stock longblock (UNported heads) recipe.... He ran 10.761 @ 123.43 with a weight of 3570lbs...... Put that into my good ol' HP calculator and according to that he was making 613hp at the flywheel to run that time! Are you ready to admit that it's possible to make 600hp with unported heads?

Originally posted by Chevota
Ok,ok....I admit, I did have the valve covers off once to change the springs;) So, anyone think a 76 is too big?:D

here's a couple of pics
http://www.dragtruk.com/PICS/LG8LJN5MQ8YL2.jpg
http://www.dragtruk.com/PICS/LG8LJN5MQ8YL4.jpg

-scott wile

Too big? I think it's too small! Get that PT88;)

Nah in all seriousness I think you should try the TSM turbo (70 GTQ) and if you can't get it to go any faster with that turbo you'll know it's time for some ported heads (with a port matched intake) and maybe a cam:)

Sounds good.

By the way Brick, thanks for setting me straight on what stock long block means - I had no idea.

My T has gone 121.34 in the 1/4. It weighs about the same as Tim's, I suppose. And I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't make 600 flywheel HP, regardless of what the calculators say.

End of discussion.

:)

The discussion is not over with until I say so (Grrrrrrr):D Just answer this question for me if you don't mind...... How much HP do you think your car is making as well as Tim's??

Brick,

Yes I have heard these stories but however i found a few guys at englishtown were talking the same smack, upon inspection they had cast irons with port work. Yes it looked stock.

Now i am not saying that there are not 109'S out there doing it!!!! However without good flowing heads and a decent fuel system it is not a easy task. IMO:D

Dunno. To me HP and torque are just numbers. I have trouble relating to HP and torque, having seen a "425 HP" Hemi Roadrunner run 9.3 in the 1/8th.

Tim's car is a remarkable story, but let's not forget he blew the headgaskets out of it on that run...

I say throw some ported irons on it and see what happens. The turbo is pushing so hard through the ports that a bigger turbo won't make much of a difference. Now if your turbo is trashed and you found a good deal on a 70 then it would be understandable.

Ported heads and less boost and stress on the shortblock should let you run 9's for longer than you will be able to run 10's the way it is.

JMHO for what it is worth

Originally posted by 1badTTA
I say throw some ported irons on it and see what happens. The turbo is pushing so hard through the ports that a bigger turbo won't make much of a difference. Now if your turbo is trashed and you found a good deal on a 70 then it would be understandable.

Ported heads and less boost and stress on the shortblock should let you run 9's for longer than you will be able to run 10's the way it is.

JMHO for what it is worth

Good advice. :cool: