You can type here any text you want

Stock driveshaft HP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
How much HP is a stock shaft good for?Ive talked to many and gotten many different respondes.

Ive heard possibly that a 4x2 trailblazer driveshaft might work?

o_O

I have had no issuses with the stock driveshaft and original u-joints into the low tens. However the splines in the front yoke have a tendency to twist slightly If you can make your car 60 foot in the 1.4 second range. These twisted splines make tranny r+r a bit more difficult. Low 11's and 60foo in the 1.6 range no problems. If the u-joints are replaced they are not as good.

I saw a killer T with a stock driveshaft twist it off this summer at a dyno session. The shaft lasted well into the 650+HP range before it let loose. It had multiple pulls on it too. It was a Stage 2 car, so I would guess your good for quite a bit.
The owner said he never even thought of it after he dropped in the Stage motor.

I wouldnt know of a specific number to put on it, but I would invest a new driveshaft with ujoints. I put alot of passes on my stock driveshaft running mid 11's and anywhere from 2.0 60's when first starting with the car to 1.4 60's til it finally broke. Not that expensive for piece of mind, I paid $380 for a steel 3" with brute force ujoints and a forged front slip yoke after a mishap at Norwalk a few years ago. Cut a 1.42 60ft approx 100ft or so out the rear yoke/ujoint mount sheared off rearend. I lucked out it didnt come thru the floor pans. It will break eventually and your better off just upgrading it rather than waiting for it to break and cause other damage to the car or yourself.

A buddy of mine twisted his stock driveshaft like a tootsie roll wrapper this summer on a dyno. He was right at 491 hp and still rising when it happened. Change shafts.

huntsg said:
A buddy of mine twisted his stock driveshaft like a tootsie roll wrapper this summer on a dyno. He was right at 491 hp and still rising when it happened. Change shafts.

Chances are the driveshaft saw an instantaneous amount of negative power if it failed on the dyno since the driveshaft sees a lot less torque on a 3rd gear hit on a dyno than a hard hooked drag strip pass. I've been up to 700whp on a stock one. I wouldn't try to harness that power at the strip though. Once a trans brake is used or the car has 10 sec power a stronger driveshaft should be installed. Only the solid universal joint shouldn't be used.

Back