Stock engine more power

Actually I did exactly what Mr. B says above......Then I went out and blew the HG! lol!

As my dad would say, "now you know!".

The first 'mod' you have to do is all the preventative maintenance. And you have to replace the parts that have timed out.

Vac hoses, check valves, plugs, wires, timing set, oil pickup, fuel pump (and hanger mods), hot wire kit, valve springs, VC gaskets, fluids, modern MAF and Translator, 60's and a matching chip, manual boost controller....

And do all the free stuff like cleaning out the intercooler, zip tie on the accelerator cable at the gas pedal, oil pump mods while the timing cover is off.....

THEN when you have a ''stock'' car (that's over 300hp at the wheels) you can start doing actual mods. If you build a house on a crappy foundation, it sinks into the swamp. Same thing with modding cars.

...or you can think about stuff like your 30+yo rubber brake lines, lower ball joints, wheel bearings, and a powermaster that's going to fail soon...
so what is this zip tie on accelerator cable is it like the ones you should put on the boost vacuum lines or what didn't know about that pics???

Takes up the slack in the line from it stretching over time.

0004616_8-inch-black-heavy-duty-cable-tie-1000-pack_450.jpeg

:D

Go to the gas pedal and pull the cable out enough to slip that noose over the tit. Tighten it so it's between the tit and the pedal. to take up the slack.

A few people have mentioned to adjust the boost. How/where is this done and is it safe ? I see many threads where people talk about blowing head gaskets. is this caused by too much boost ?

A few people have mentioned to adjust the boost. How/where is this done and is it safe ? I see many threads where people talk about blowing head gaskets. is this caused by too much boost ?

Head gasket failures are caused by poor maintenance and/or greed.

Really, the premise of this thread has led the discussion astray. If your engine is in good shape and stock. Leave it that way. If you want the car to go fast, pull that time capsule, put it in a bag, and get a new one built to meet your goals.

And remember, if you up the power much past ~325hp to the ground, which is pretty much the safe, practical limit for the stock engine with the stock turbocharger, EVERYTHING ELSE starts breaking.

Overboosting is the easiest and fastest way to blow a headgasket.

The only way to know what is safe for your exact car is to test AND MONITOR knock while doing it.