Stock GN wheels widened?

Stamos

In keeping with my "sleeper" build, I am looking to widen the stock rear GN wheels to 8 1/2" so I can stealthily fit more rubber. I will not be notching the frame, only fitting as much as I can within the stock wheel well. Oh yeah, and I don't want to roll the lip.

I tried searching, but found no results of others having gone down this path. Have any of you had your stock GN wheels widened and what were your results? What tire did you end up running?

Thanks in advance.

Check on the gbdyparts.com if they are still offering the widened rims. I had a set of their gnx 10"wide rims. Some have run a 315 but you have to watch your back-spacing and check that the rear is actually centered w/the body.

Mine were widened 1" from stock and I cant remember what stock was. It was all added to the "inside" . Tires gently kiss the frame at times but it hasn't caused any problems.... Been running like this for 15 years. Must say it looks great though.

I had a set of GN wheels that were widened to 8 inches, if I remember correctly. I honestly don't remember the back spacing. Had a set of Nitto 275/50 drag radials on the rims, and they looked fantastic. I attached a pic to give you an idea.

IMAG0258.jpg

I remember there were no issues with rubbing on the quarters or frame. I also remember that these wheels and tires were really, really heavy. My Hoosier slicks mounted on stock rims felt about 2/3 the weight. If I had to do it over again, I would probably get a set of the GBody aluminum reproduction rims. Look great, and way lighter than a widened stock steel wheel.

Hope this helps.

I had a set of GN wheels that were widened to 8 inches, if I remember correctly. I honestly don't remember the back spacing. Had a set of Nitto 275/50 drag radials on the rims, and they looked fantastic. I attached a pic to give you an idea.

View attachment 279570

I remember there were no issues with rubbing on the quarters or frame. I also remember that these wheels and tires were really, really heavy. My Hoosier slicks mounted on stock rims felt about 2/3 the weight. If I had to do it over again, I would probably get a set of the GBody aluminum reproduction rims. Look great, and way lighter than a widened stock steel wheel.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps quite a bit, thanks! This morning I ordered a set of Mickey Thompson ET Radials in 275/60/15. I was wavering back and forth about the 50 series or 60 series because of overall effective tire height as it relates to gear ratio. (Your 50 series look great BTW)

I realize that this method of getting more tire under the GN isn't the most weight effective for un-sprung weight, but I spent the majority of my bonus money on other driveline parts (upgrades) so a set of bad-ass wheels will have to come later.

Thanks again.

I had a set that I got widened through GBodies back in 2012 to 18x8s all around. I recently did a search and didn't see steel widened wheels still on their site. I was running 245/50r15s in the front, and 255/50r15s in the rear. I wanted the rear wheels to still tuck inside of the wheel wells, soI could stay with a lowered look.

I run Aero series 52 15X8 4in backspace with steel drums
with Hoosier 28X9-15 @12psi section width 11.1
no mods to finders no rub
this is really close on the inside ,you can see that the sidewall dose rub the dust off no marks on tire at all
I can say 4in backspace with steel drum will work and my next tire will be 275X60-15

I had mine widened to 8" with absolutely zero problems by true design.
But they are out of business now due to the owner passing away

I HAVE 15 X 10S FROM G BODY parts- they are awesome, however when racing
you can get into trouble going too wide it will rub the frame
going to tall will rub the inner fender and cut a tire

Got them back and mounted....looks really good IMO. Having a slight air leak issue on the RR wheel, but I've nailed it down to a pinhole in one weld seam that will be JB Welded this weekend then a coat of NOX-Rust.
Parking Lot.jpg