You can type here any text you want

Stock GNX Turbo vs Stock GN Turbo....the differences

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kna4977

Other than the ceramic impellar, contamination trap, and seals were there any differences between a stock Grand National/Turbo-T/T-Type Turbo and a GNX Turbo?

I read that the stock GN Turbo would flow 575 CFM. Was the flow of the GNX Turbo the same?

Anyone........

Is this top secret information? Can't believe there have been so many views and so much knowledge here, but no one has the answer :confused:

The idea with the GNX turbo and lighter exhaust wheel is that it is more efficient than a stock GN Turbo. Since the wheel is lighter weight it takes less time to spool, less effort to reach the maximum amount of boost, and better performance in the low RPM Range.

With our cars anything to make the air flow faster in and out of the turbo (which in turn will allow the turbo to spool faster) is a big help. Think of it this way...if the technology was available for a Ball Bearing Turbo back in the 80s they probably would have used it!

GNX Turbo

Can a GNX turbo be bolted on in place of a stock turbo on a 86 GN without any modifications and using a adjusable wastegate?

Can a GNX turbo be bolted on in place of a stock turbo on a 86 GN without any modifications and using a adjusable wastegate?

Too rare and EXPENSIVE. Many more choices that are around $600...

GNX Turbo

Actually I purchased a GNX Turbo on ebay for less then $600. It is in mint condition and has less then 1000 miles on it. Just wasn't sure if it would fit a 86 GN without modifying anything.

GNX Turbo

Thats what I said. Check it out.

Attachments

• !Bulwqr!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKjQEvV,zSBg8BM!-3zkNFQ~~_35.jpg
    !Bulwqr!Bmk~$(KGrHqYOKjQEvV,zSBg8BM!-3zkNFQ~~_35.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 637
GNX Turbo

Your right. Didn't notice it until I did alittle further research. Stock GN turbo right?

GNX Turbo

Here is what the sellers description was:

BUICK GRAND NATIONAL GNX -1986-87 TURBO. WHEN I BOUGHT MY CAR THIS WAS ON IT. I WAS TOLD IT WAS MADE BY LIMITED ENGINEERING AND WOULD MAKE 550 HP. THIS TURBO HAS LESS THAN 1000 MILES ON IT, HAS ABSOLUTELY NO SHAFT PLAY, UP OR DOWN. ALSO COMES W/A GM MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR & A GM LT1 MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, TURBO GASKET & EVERYTHING ELSE YOU SEE IN THE PICTURE. I KNOW I'VE LEFT OUT SOME THINGS SO PLEASE ASK ASK ALL QUESTIONS BEFORE BIDDING. I'VE TRIED TO DESCRIBE THIS AS BEST I CAN & I MAY ALSO END THIS AUCTION AS I HAVE THIS ITEM LISTED IN OTHER PLACES. THERE IS NO RETURN ON THIS ITEM. IF YOU HAVE ZERO OR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK, CONTACT ME BEFORE BIDDING. IF NOT, I WILL CANCEL YOUR BID. WILL ONLY SHIP TO LOWER 48 STATES & WILL ONLY SHIP WITH INSURANCE. PAYMENT EXCEPTED W/IN 24 HOURS OF WINNING BID, SHIPPING WILL W/IN 48 HOURS OF RECEIVING MONEY. SHIPPING WILL BE $60.00 AND WILL BE SENT IN 2 BOXES. THANKS FOR LOOKING.

Yep, read the description he posted. Sure looks like an 86 GNX turbo to me:p

GNX turbo

Yeah I know, Just got alittle exited when I saw it for that low price. I can still use it to replace my turbo that is DOA.

Probably a TA49...
Lots of Evilbay ads mention the GNX to capture the largest audience but the GNX turbo is such a rare animal that someone that has a real one is not going to let it go CHEAP.;)

GNX Turbo info

The GNX Turbo is improved from the stock turbo by 3 very important differences. The lightweight ceramic turbine and low friction bearings which reduce turbo lag. A larger exhaust housing which greatly improves top end performance. So with these 3 changes the GNX turbo mimics the gains of a larger turbo with a mild stall converter. The GNX turbo is a bolt on improvement EXCEPT for the turbo shield bracket, the GNX bracket allows for the wider GNX cover which will clear to particle trap.

1987 GNX 531
1971 GSX Tribute
1969 Camaro Conv

I was going to say wow that was a deal. A family friend who owned two, "one chopped up to race ,Buddy Cox worlds fastest GNX" had some slag go through his after a exhaust mod and it cost him 7k for a replacement one through the dealer. This was in 1988 I believe although I was only 18 and young to the turbo scene.

Back