You can type here any text you want

stock heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Noopz1991

Whats the max stock heads can handle. Im rebuildin a 87 GN motor for my 83 T-Type it will be my daily driver and once in awhile to get it a little power.

The stock heads will handle way more then your ever going to throw at them. I am having a set done now that will go in the mid 9's easy. I do not like alum heads on a true street car. I have 3 other high powered big blocks and have never used alum on any. The so called weight savings just isnt worth the warping, cracking, and other hassle in my opinion.
So to answer your question...700hp or mid 9's with the correct work.

Thanks
Coach

Alright thanks for the help really appreciate it im new to the gn motors. And ill be lookin for more help.

Coach's statement is very true of PORTED stock iron heads by a skilled porter. I just wanted to make sure you realized that. The stock unported heads are pretty weak, but can run in the 10's with good tuning and the right go fast parts.

Thanks Fab, I guess I forgot to mention porting needed. When I said I'm having a set done, I knew what I ment, but it didn't read the same.

Thanks.
Coach

So all i need to do is port my stock heads and anything i put to it they will handle them.

Pretty much. Don't need a full port job for big power. A decent clean up and my buddy KevinW25645 is going 10.8's with a ton left.

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. Ill definitly be commin back for help if you guys dont mind helping.

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. Ill definitly be commin back for help if you guys dont mind helping.

You will learn a ton just reading on here. You will also learn which members know what they are talking about and which are "grasping at straws". Im no expert in these cars, but the question you asked, I have also asked, so I knew the answer.

Thanks really appreciate it again.one more question, can the stock motor handle alot if i get the kb headers with a bigger turbo.

Thanks really appreciate it again.one more question, can the stock motor handle alot if i get the kb headers with a bigger turbo.

You dont need headers until you hit the low 10's. The stock ones flow enough. As for turbos, I have a Te62 on my car and thats a pretty good size. My engine is 24,000 miles with just a valve spring swap. Others have run bigger turbos, but with the stock cam and heads, the 62 is plenty. Its the proper convertor and a good tranny you will need first. Are you running race gas or an ALKY kit? You need to do some research and get a recipe for how fast you want to go. There are 12,11,10,and 9 sec recipes listed on here if you search them out. It tells you the mods you will need to safely reach those performance levels.

Ill be running a alky kit later down the road as soon as i get it built n i want mid 10s but the altitude in colorado springs will make it hard.

Ill be running a alky kit later down the road as soon as i get it built n i want mid 10s but the altitude in colorado springs will make it hard.

You will be pushing it hard to do that. You might want to stop and consider doing the center billet caps on the bottom end. Mid 10's is the danger point for the stock cranks and keeping it in place is key to a little longer life. Mid 11's will last for quite a while, but 10's is different. Can be done, but not for long. The engine I am having built is for mid 10's turn key. A 249 stroker with forged bottom end, 4 billet caps and RJC girdle. That set up is good to bottom 9's, so at mid 10's...it will last quite a while. I have always believed, build it for 9's and run 10's, dont build it for 11's and run 10's...if you do, you might want to play the theme from "JAWS" everytime you boost it down the 1/4!!!

Just a little advise. $$$ is easily wasted, when in a hurry and no homework is done.

Coach

So basically build it to run 9s n it will hold mid 10s no problem. Im doin my homework now by askin questions. i want this done right so later down the road i wont have to change parts here and there or the block. This is my everyday car from work to home n to cruise late at night and the weekends. Ill hit the drag street maybe twice a year. Other then that itll be drivin with respect like they should be. So upgrade the crank, cam, ported heads, caps, turbo, valve springs. i should be good holdin 10s with these. Or more upgrades will be needed.

So basically build it to run 9s n it will hold mid 10s no problem. Im doin my homework now by askin questions. i want this done right so later down the road i wont have to change parts here and there or the block. This is my everyday car from work to home n to cruise late at night and the weekends. Ill hit the drag street maybe twice a year. Other then that itll be drivin with respect like they should be. So upgrade the crank, cam, ported heads, caps, turbo, valve springs. i should be good holdin 10s with these. Or more upgrades will be needed.

Get the chassis to hold the power first. Missing body bushings, frame braces, rear seat brace, good trailing arms...the list never ends. I have no less then $4000-5000 in just chassis mods. From everything HR Parts makes to every brace I can bolt on, to Moser axles, TA Rear girdle, shocks...etc. If your married...you might not be for long!!! You think women are expensive...wait til the black car starts shopping...LOL

Im not married im jus a 21 year old kid wantin a GN. Its been my dream car since i was like 10 years old. I have about 10 to 11 thousand in the car. The motor and tranny rear end and stuff are last. I was gonna drop a twin turbo 327 in but the 3.8 is what i wanted. The power that a v6 can do amazes me.

That is what this place is for dude. We dont mind helping, cause we all needed, and still do need help with these dang cars. Read all you can, and ask if you cant find the answers to your questions.

My best advice to anyone starting out with a Turbo Buick: Before you buy ANYTHING, ask if you should. There are alot of do nothing parts out there. If you are on a budget, don't buy anything until you ask and get a proper response from someone that has run the number with and with out said part. Remember that tuning is the main source of reliable horsepower, NOT parts. Stock parts can be made to run really quite fast.

Back