You can type here any text you want

Stock is tired "and slow" where to start.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meltonbpp

I was out yesterday in my stock 86 GN, showing some high school kids daddy's s2000 isn't all that. A few miles down the road I'm the kid, against '10 Corvette Grand Sport. Usually doesn't bother me, losing to a faster car, but i have had it :mad:. My question is where to put my money first?(after scanmaster) My target is 350-450hp on 1k-2k$ with looking reasonably stock under the hood. can this be done? on a stock trans & rear end? Or what can 1k-2k get me as far as hp. ( I have a need, a need for speed)

Alcohol injection- best bang for the buck! Razor PAC kit all the way! Also, do you have a posi rear (G80)? If not, I'd consider that. Trans may need beefing up if tired. How does it shift? Yes, scan tool first and tune before mods which should only happen one at a time. I kept one stock one time along time ago and modded is WAY more fun! :eek::smile:

it has posi. thank god. the trans takes off solid barks tires going into second without trying when its cold. after a few mile on highway pushing it, seems to be sluggish shifting into 3rd. shift kit or rebuild? I don't know what the 200 could handle as far as hp. I have a th400 w/manual valve body(backup for blazer) but that is not very streetable. and i'm trying not to pull the motor, i would open it up and spend way too much.

Razor pac is on the list for sure. I just ASSumed it was more expensive and complicated. Install seems pretty straight forward. Does the power come from the fuel or the ability to run higher boost?

Car

If it was my car vavle springs,alky kit,TE-44 turbo,injectors,and fuel system,wires,plugs and a K&N fillter thats about 2k.

Start with simple stuff first:
93 octane chip from Turbotweek
Pypes or Hooker 2.5" exhaust
test pipe instead of catyltic convertor
Port the exhaust housing
typical spring cleaning (plugs,wires,fuel filter,etc)
modify waste gate rod to adjust boost (keep at 16-17 lbs. for 93 octane)
Scanmaster
..after you get used to those mods (it will feel like a whole different animal) then go for the alky injection.

Thanks guys. i hate sounding like a blind guy asking for directions, never thought i would mod it. After nearly 9 years the light came on "whats resale if you never sell it". Just want it to scare me like the first day i got it.

turbo tweek chip
mod the wastegate rod
hotwire the fuel pump
alky
rjc powerplate
boost and fuel gauge
scanmaster
cold air intake

If thats not enough then more mods are in order
turbo
injectors
stall converter
downpipe

Something that runs in the 11s in the quarter now will end up being more on par with the newer cars,even though some of the newer cars are alot quicker than that.As time go's on the faster they get.

Also all the mods could be removed and returned to stock for resale.

Thanks guys. i hate sounding like a blind guy asking for directions, never thought i would mod it. After nearly 9 years the light came on "whats resale if you never sell it". Just want it to scare me like the first day i got it.

We all started somewhere. This site is here to help us all. Hope you get her running like a champ again! BTW there is always the chance you wore out your cam and that's why she's a slug now.

I have a 90,000 mile unopened engine stock valve springs,stock timing chain,stock heads and cam nothing ported.

I have a 3'' downpipe with external gate
art carr torque convertor
atr exhaust and i run the dump closed
fuel pump
hotwire kit
60 lb injectors
slic stretched
alky
slicks
breathers in valve covers
adjustable regualator
scanmaster
fuel pressure gauge
boost gauge

only 24# of boost i would run more but i have some kinda issue where it is running lean

my track is above sea level a bit and is not the greatest track

i have gone 11.48 @117 with 1.57 60' times

i'm sure there is more in the car if i could turn it up! I was also told valve springs make a big diffrence 2 tenths

i hope this helps.

Last week I raced a modded 2010 Grand Sport and tied him. He dynoed at 426 HP at the rear wheels. My engine is stock including the cam. It does have ported heads though. I'm just running 93 octane, if I had alky I would of dusted him.

These cars can go fast on just a few mods. I would recommend ported heads and a good intercooler. Then add the basic stuff like chip, injectors, fuel pump and hotwire kit etc. And have a way to monitor things, like a boost gauge and scanmaster. I run a Powerlogger instead of a scanmaster, but that is just my preference. Good luck!

Did a spring clean plugs, wires, oil, k&n oil and air filter. Feels stonger and is making me think the tranny doubts where just the need for a tune up.

I found a fuel pres gauge and a boost gauge. Also found a crank case evac kit for a SBC, could i mod this to fit? worth it?

So far the wish list is: TT chip, RJC plate, hot wire fp, mod wg rod, test pipe and Razor pac. Is there anything im missing to make these parts work ie larger fuel pump or injectors..ect.

It has a flowmaster cat back with dual in/out. If that count as exaust?

Any way to tell if cam is flat with out taking it out?

Thanks again guys. Pulled the covers checked with a ruler all the lifters seem to be good.

I pretty sure that i now have a crack in the exhaust manifold :( anyone know a good exhaust place near Louisville Ky?

Boost gauge is in, getting aprox 11# at wot. Is that par for stock? Getting waste gate rod this week how far could i run boost safely w/o additional parts. or am i getting to antsy.

All cars are different but I run 18lbs on the mods in my sig with 0 KR. Your car will wake up with the TT chip. If you are going to get ALky go with 60lb INj. Also make sure you get adj fp reg. Go with all your fuel upgrades first and the TT chip. Just my thoughts.

The TT chip and the fuel injectors have to match each other, if your going with alky let Eric at TT know this and he will burn your chip accordingly. Good luck with your car.
You should be able to run about 14lbs with out alky, but turn it back down if you get knock. With alky and my 44 turbo, stock motor I was running 22-24 lbs, with the appropriate mods to go with it.

Chuck

ok not to sound like a newb but what is this rjc plate? i know i know i'm a hot air but i have alot of ic friends.

Scanmaster - to monitor knock and all your sensors
Walbro 340 Fuel Pump
Hotwire kit
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
60lb injectors - optional, i ran 26psi on my stockers with alky and an old mini mag chip and stock long block
ALKY INJECTION
TT alky chip - remember, this has to match your injectors
Adjustable wastegate rod (HD preferably since you will be running alky)
How many miles on engine? may need to replace valve springs with comp 980s **edit** replace them since they are 24 years old
Sticky Tires - A MUST (no fun spinning when the light turns green)
all of the above would put you right under 2k

I would probably try to max out the stock turbo since you have a stock converter or look into a TA49 or similar

READ Razors Tuning guide, its a sticky in the alcohol forums - Invaluable information.

Been reading the forums about injectors seems most end up going to the 60s after they start upgrading. Do these require a larger fuel pump? I replaced mine with a stock about 8000mi ago.
Would it be best to do the alky and inj/chip at the same time. otherwise i would end up getting 2 chips. with most things im use to one change wait for problem, don't want to break something by using the wrong order of operations.

Back