Stock motor ?

Savageite

This is my first post so take it easy on me. I wanted to know what these stock motors can take. I searched on here but I couldn't find anything. I'm asking because I'm about to buy a 86 GN and i'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Nothing to fear- great bunch of guys on the boards to help you outt.

To answer your question, the stock engine has been pushed into the 10s with bolt ons; it's a stout little motor that keeps coming back for more......

you can go a long ways on a stock motor(stock longblock) low-mid 11's can be had if your carefull.

Just spend a few hours on here searching and learning all you can about these cars. Low mile engines can be blown up with knock, while engines with over 150k miles can run in the 11's if they've been taken care of and tuned correctly, most importantly avoid knock.

Congrats on the future purchase!

This is my first post so take it easy on me. I wanted to know what these stock motors can take. I searched on here but I couldn't find anything. I'm asking because I'm about to buy a 86 GN and i'm trying to do as much research as possible.

My feeling is, being around these cars all these years, mid 11's is pretty safe limit for a reliable non-race car. Low 11's and stuff starts to break. Follow the tried and true recipie for safe power, take your time and man yer havin' fun!
What are opinions on max RPM for stock motor? I've been trying to keep mine safe and just went to 28" tires so I'm finishing the 1/4 at around 5000 rpm @ 110 mph or so. Last time at the track, my trans never shifted out of 2nd and I ran up to a little over 5800 rpm:eek: (whoa!):mad: . I'll never do that again. Hope I didn't do any serious damage!

wish i had 5K at the traps
ive been trapping my stock shortblock ( stock crank, pistons, rods, maincaps and GM bolts, flat tappet hyd cam , stockrockers , no billetcaps/girdle or studs) at 127 or so at 5950 for past couple years , shifting 5800 or so 2-3

bigger problem with revving it up is having the fuel supply and injectors to keep the engine happy , and to keep away from the rpm limiter in the chip (cuts off fuel by shutting off injectors) , mine is set at the max at 6350 and sometimes wish it wasnt there .

wish i had 5K at the traps
ive been trapping my stock shortblock ( stock crank, pistons, rods, maincaps and GM bolts, flat tappet hyd cam , stockrockers , no billetcaps or studs ) at 127 or so at 5950 for past couple years , shifting 5800 or so 2-3

bigger problem with revving it up is having the fuel supply and injectors to keep the engine happy , and to keep away from the rpm limiter in the chip (cuts off fuel by shutting off injectors) , mine is set at the max at 6350 and sometimes wish it wasnt there .

Man you're kidding?:cool: 127 at 5950 on a GM assembled bottom? May they are good! That makes me feel better, thanks! My injectors 009's hit about 95% but O2's were .831+, KR~0 deg were OK.

Thanks and keep it up!
Joe

My motor should have been throw away for a core rebuild EVERYTHING is stock other then injectors/IC/Turbo/DP and its ran 11.22... I'm sure it had a 10 in it with more timing...

Its a TE63-1

It had.... since the motor is now pulled out and my VIRGIN 109 STOCKER is going in and trying to get kicked out at 9.99. Its still complete sitting on a stand...

Original 50k crank, rods and pistons here, only thing I did was pull a maincap to check the bearings. I put Champion GN1s and a roller cam and it has been reliable running a few 10's @ 123-124. I am going to lock the converter this time and feed it some boost and try for a 10.50@129-130mph.

Very impressive times. My car is stock as of now but it looks like a nice goal to reach would be to run a high 10 on a totally stock motor. My car now only has 54,000 on it.

Its a TE63-1

It had.... since the motor is now pulled out and my VIRGIN 109 STOCKER is going in and trying to get kicked out at 9.99. Its still complete sitting on a stand...

What's the power potential of the TE-63- about 650 flywheel?