You can type here any text you want

Stock parts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTOP350

How much do you guys (and gals) think a stock 40,mile TTA short block (W/cam)
and trans is worth ?????????

.. I know the stuff is good, I drove the car in question.. I took it out of the car for some majior upgrades...

Prolly $3,000-$4500 depending on the person buying it. I would most definately keep it as the tag on the trans has your build numbner(or so it's thought) as well as the vin number inscribed onto the block.

Keep it for a restore 15 years down the line...

Shortblock=block,crank,rods,pistons,cam.

Man its the same as an 87 Buick GN motor. Block is nothing really special. 109 blocks are plentiful. The cam is same as the 87 GN. Not much there. The crank if unmolested is a little special since its cross drilled. Rods.. simple two dot rods. Pistons are cast.. but they are TTA specific.

Transmission.... valvebody and the TTF tag are the two things of value.

assumming the shortblock were ok.. meaning all someone would need to do is throw the rest of the missing parts and no work performed. 500-1000 Remember there is no warranty. Price can vary on condition. 40K can be a lot of miles if motor was run hard.

Tranny core value is 400-650.

Trading t/a may have thought entire motor..

What?

I think these parts are priceless, given the hard ability of finding them. Hang on to them, as they will only appreciate!

Re: What?

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
I think these parts are priceless, given the hard ability of finding them. Hang on to them, as they will only appreciate!

True, but the question is what is it worth today. Not in 20 years.

And... To a GN guy not as much since the pistons are wrong.

Priceless.. get a whole running car with low miles for 15K. Even cheaper and running. No not priceless.

Its all relative.

I bought a std bore GN shortblock with a 10/10 crank for 350 three months ago on Ebay.

This car wasn't run hard at all .. it has just sat outside most of its life .. the comp and leakdown test were outstanding..
It ran very well didn't smoke, knock, burn oil and it shifted quick and firm..yes the trans has the tag on it . where is the vin on the block at ????
I have thought about putting it in a 91-92 vert .. nice and quiet nobody would know what hit 'em ;)

Prolly $3,000-$4500 depending on the person buying it. I would most definately keep it as the tag on the trans has your build numbner(or so it's thought) as well as the vin number inscribed onto the block.

Keep it for a restore 15 years down the line... [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't believe the heads, block or trans were matched marked for each specific car or as a set. I have been all over my 2 TTA blocks and have never seen a vin # inscribed on either one. The only thing that distinguishes it from the GN 109 is the embossed SG1 by the motor mounts. The heads just have a specific casting #. I don't know about the tranny since mine was swapped out at 60K due to an oil pump failure (I had an extended warranty, got a new one for $25.0) but, I really doubt the build # was on them. The actual build # would be the order they came out of the PAS facility and PAS did not keep track of that. I bought a 109 block for $100.0. As far as I know, GN cranks are still available, any good machine shop can cross drill the mains for about $50.0. The major difference is the pistons but I really don't think there worth much. My reasoning on this point is, when, in fifteen years, you go to rebuild/restore this motor, at a minimum, there will be a 0.010 skim cut on the cylinders, this renders these stock pistons useless so, what's the point? If you have everything else in stock form, whose gonna know what pistons are in this 'stock' TTA?

Frank,

Where is the VIN on the engine block?

Also as far as I understand the tag on the trans is not the build number but there is PAS documents tying the trans tag number and the IC number to the actual build number or VIN ....

Dude..someone give me 3500 and they can have my built TTA tranny and stock shortblock rite now..

I want what you guys are smoking. The value is the headers, brackets, intake, accessories, front cover, accessories..

So how much is a stock trans worth?

Stock shortblock?

How does the 3000--4500 calculate?

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay. And since its not running, who ever bought it would be a fool to not tear it down and inspect it. That costs $$$

Shortblock and complete engine are no where equal $$$

Complete engine, wiring, and trans out of a 40 K mile TTA.. 4500 would sound fair?? Or am I off?

Frank,

Where is the VIN on the engine block?

Also as far as I understand the tag on the trans is not the build number but there is PAS documents tying the trans tag number and the IC number to the actual build number or VIN ....

Hi Jan,

As I stated, I have never seen a vin # on either of my blocks and they both are TTA blocks. I personally think the talk about PAS documents tying the trans and the IC is wishful thinking. Rich looked into this with Scott Kelly and to my knowledge, nothing was ever found. If there were such documentation, one would think that either Pontiac or the PHS would have or know of this information. I really don't think 15 or 20 years from now it's gonna matter that much anyway. What will matter is, is it a stock TTA trans and IC. If someone is lookin at making big bucks 15 or 20 years from now selling a low mile prestine stock TTA, pay the $ now for one and stash it back. The original thread was what is a stock 40K short block worth. To me, not much, to others, a lot.

The car was running great then I tore it down for a better trans and a stage 2 motor.. I was wondering just cause he wanted to swap some labor for the stock stuff.. Thanx for all your input guys

The VIN number is on my block and I believe the other TTA block I have. Its on the left hand side (drivers side) right where the locating pin for the trans is. I have a pic but you cant see the vin at all so I wont post it.

parts are worth whatever someone will pay in green dead presidents :p ..totally disagree with a 40k motor would have to go .010 :cool:

Give me a call and put some $$'s up.

I sold my TTF tranny and stock convertor this spring for $250. Ive tried a couple of times to get $800 out of my short block, but never did sell it. The GN's are going for more money than a similar TTA. There is a bigger market and alot more interest in GN parts. About the only TTA specific part that brings any $$'s used is the stock headers and X-over, and its never a TTA guy looking for them its a guy who wants to do a camaro transplant.

Just my experience: Jason

Originally posted by postal
Give me a call and put some $$'s up.

I sold my TTF tranny and stock convertor this spring for $250. Ive tried a couple of times to get $800 out of my short block, but never did sell it. The GN's are going for more money than a similar TTA. There is a bigger market and alot more interest in GN parts. About the only TTA specific part that brings any $$'s used is the stock headers and X-over, and its never a TTA guy looking for them its a guy who wants to do a camaro transplant.

Just my experience: Jason

Very good point !!! I have also sold some GN rear ends .. Guess how many went in a GN ??? NONE !! :D

The vin should be inscribed on an ear of the block driver's side. Actually you'll know it cause it has italicized writing. Again it's only worth what someone is willing to pay you. He said engine and trans. If someone's doing a restore they need the tranny and block. $3500 is doable for an engine trans combo.

Especially to someone who buys your car later when you sell it :D

I was told that the tranny could be a way to decode the build number. I have niether so mine is used as a runner not a show car....

hey its a CAR !!! drive the hell out of it an enjoy it !!!! save the restoration stuff for when your old an cant drive anymore :p

Originally posted by trading t/a
If someone's doing a restore they need the tranny and block. $3500 is doable for an engine trans combo.

Especially to someone who buys your car later when you sell it :D

Please breakdown your 3500 quote.

So a used stock TTA trans is worth 2000 dollars
And a used stock shortblock is worth 1500 dollars

this I got to hear.

Ahh.. its the 500 dollar D5 TTA converter.

Note: shortblock=block,crank,pistons,rods,cam

Your car is say number 34 and the year is 2005, you decide you want to restore your TTA back to original, but you do not have the original engine and trans(see previous post involving vin number on block). I bought your original trans and SHORTBLOCK (yes I know what a shortblock is and cam usually is not included) ;) back in 2001 cause you thought it was junk. It's not unreasonable to ask $3500 for it when someone is restoring their car, or what the difference in value would be by not having the original equipment..........

That's why I said keep it for a restore project later on. Unclench your cheeks and release those panties that are in a bunch..... :)

Again it is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.

CHEERS!

Ok, send me 3500, i'll send you my shortblock and tranny. You can sell it to who ever restores my car 40 years from now for 100,000 :p

He asked what its worth. Not what its gonna be worth.

And nobody will ever check the numbers becuase there is no access to them. ;)

The TTF tag is about the only thing with specific value. The rest... nobody will ever know.

You could argue he holds on to the motor and then sells it back to the owner of the car when/if it gets restored for big bucks. Since that one will only be the rite car. But by the looks of the Stage motor going in.. ha ha ha

Look how many big block tri-power 1967 numbers matching Vette's there are today. Actually more than were ever produced.

Touche' ;)

Back