You can type here any text you want

Stock radio starting to flake out

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
The stock radio (cass/EQ) is losing the capture on the AM band. It will start to waver, then will lose all signal. Turning it off/then on sometimes helps. 2 questions: (1) I have heard that the cd changers that hook up thru the fm are bad for some radios. Is this true? I have just such a unit in my trunk. (2) If I am willing to tear into my radio, is there any chance that I can find the component that is cause me to lose talk radio, baseball games, traffic, weather, etc?

Originally posted by Ken Cunningham
(1) I have heard that the cd changers that hook up thru the fm are bad for some radios. Is this true?

NO! Silly who told you dat?

Originally posted by Ken Cunningham
(2) If I am willing to tear into my radio, is there any chance that I can find the component that is cause me to lose talk radio, baseball games, traffic, weather, etc?

I did a reply on the other post, you can try to resolder the tuner pack (most of the time it works) sound like a bad connection.

There is usually a tuning adjustment pot. or slug for AM radio reception.

Haven't done it on this radio but in the old days it helped.

Not sure where it is but I will look got two of them here at work that need cassette repairs.

It's an AM only tuning adjustment.

Might want to try a google internet search on AM antenna adjusting. :)

"I did a reply on the other post," ???? You mean I should search the archives?:)

"...you can try to resolder the tuner pack (most of the time it works) sound like a bad connection." I'm willing to try this, but what/where do I resolder? I have had the radio apart before (to change the cassette belt) and know that it breaks down into 2 completely separate components. The radio is one unit, the cassette the other. But ONLY the AM radio is out on mine, the FM works fine.

"There is usually a tuning adjustment pot. or slug for AM radio reception. Haven't done it on this radio but in the old days it helped." Sounds like the AM Trim adjustment that old radios used to have for AM. I don't know that I've seen this on electronically tuned radios though. And the way my AM has failed seems more like discrete component failure. When it loses reception, it doesn't slide to another freq., it loses all reception. It goes progressively, will start to pop and fade, then goes to static. As I said, FM will still work. After shutting it off for awhile, or listening to FM, the AM will usually work again. For awhile.

I think the adjustment potentiometer for the AM antenna is in the upper right hand corner of the radio to the right of the display.

Problem is the radio must come out and you have to take the front black faceplate off to get at it. Need to get the knobs pulled off and the plastic snap tabs will release the front faceplate.

Must be adjusted with a plastic screwdriver for best results.

Procedure might be in the owners manual. I will look for it. :)

Could also be a defective tuner section and need work.

Back