Stock/stroker Cranks

Nick,

Are you saying that TA is fixing all the machining anomalies on the Cat cranks? That would be great! It cost $300 to straighten out the last one I used.

Brandon

What I am told is TA checks every CAT crank before sending it out. We check all our cranks for straightness and bearing journal tolerances.

I have used a few from TA, and sent some to customers. No one has reported any problem.

The one area that all the forged cranks have in common is the inside radius on the crank flange not being relieved enough. This is easily solved by chamfering the flex plate edge next to the flange.

I have heard of a few CAT cranks sold on e-bay that had major problems. Maybe these were rejects or seconds?:confused:

I am simply amazed to still see new cranks available for less than 1k. BMS cranks (new ground ones) sold for over 2k and the raw forgings went for 400 each at times. They cost around 1k to have machined so that is $1400 at the cheapest to get one.

TA has a business to run, bills to pay. He needs to make some $$ and I'm sure he knows there will always be somebody cheaper to get the parts from. I suspect he will have some in the end when all the others are "given" away so keep that in mind. I don't see Dan at DLS being mentioned. He also has forged cranks and some billet cranks in stock and IMHO is more than fair on his pricing.

I have to agree with Nick with everything he has said above. Support the vendors and let them make a few bucks or they will just shut the business down and find other means to make a living.

I agree with Nick and Ted! These guys wouldn't be here long if they only made $5 bucks on a crank... If you feel you are not getting treated right buy one off ebay and see how that works for you....

There has to be some incentive for the vendors to stay open...

I don't see Dan at DLS being mentioned. He also has forged cranks and some billet cranks in stock and IMHO is more than fair on his pricing.
QUOTE]

Dan was mentioned briefly. I think the main item, it that Dan only currently has the Stroker cranks that he and BA have going. I am sure if/when a stock stroke crank is offered by DLS, they will sell quite a few, if the price is still under a $1000.

I am waiting to hit the lottery, so I can have cranks made by an American manufacturer and have Stage blocks and heads re-cast and sell them at cost to be nice. :biggrin: Oh wait, I need to buy a lottery before I can win. :eek:

Well, why did you not spend $50K to buy up all the cranks and sell them at cost to "help" the community?

So having a forged crank available at a reasonable price is NOT helping the Buick community?

A forged crank at $800 is a very good price - ask a Mopar, Ford or other racer guy. Before the CAT and Eagle cranks were available a good, used BMS crank sold for $1800.

The Eagle cranks list price was $599, the CATS were sold less than that by a few that wanted a quick buck, had no overhead, no customer service for the bad ones they sold. Talked with the owner of Eagle few weeks ago and he said he will never do a forged Buick crank again - it was a money losing item.:frown:

Unfortunately the concept of "making a profit" does not apply here, just "where can can I get the cheapest price" is the motto.

About 10 years ago I was able to but a factory replacement GM cast crank for $600 and was glad to get it, and you guys whine about paying $800 for a forged crank?

Why didn't I do it? Was CAT going to just throw all those cranks out or something? Is CAT in fact going out of business?

Point is that even if every manufacturer doubled the price of their products, the re-seller (vendor) wouldn't care because they're still going to make their profit on the item. WE are the ones footing the bill, not YOU. So if we want to "whine" it's our right because WE are the ones who keep YOU in business. If you don't like it why don't you sell your shop and take that money and put it in a CD and see how much PROFIT you're making then.

And let's not cry for good old Eagle because their cranks have had many problems over the years and not just in the Buick market.

PS: Many shops also go out of business because as they get bigger their attention to detail and customer care doesn't grow at the same rate. PROFIT becomes their priority and not the satisfaction of their customer. Dissatisfied customers equals no new business.

I just want to say, you can NOT compare an eagle/cat crank to a bms crank. Quality and prices! so stop that. Have a great night.:cool:

Posted by Dan @ DLS just the other day...

V6gofast said:
We have 3.400 stroke narrow journal , 3.625 wide journal . and 3.750
stroke in stock on the shelf . We can do complete rotating assemblies also.

K.

I think the average TR owner is looking for a stroker crank with the stock "narrow" journal........they are just not out there.

Just a friendly update to you folks who may not already know that TA Performance stepped up months ago and has had 3.625" narrow journal cranks in stock for sometime now. We would also like to mention that we have good inventory on the 3.400" cranks as well.

Just a friendly update to you folks who may not already know that TA Performance stepped up months ago and has had 3.625" narrow journal cranks in stock for sometime now. We would also like to mention that we have good inventory on the 3.400" cranks as well.

According to your website, you have a 3.400 narrow journal crank for 795. The 3.625 crank also lists for 795 but it says it is a wide journal......is this info correct ?