Stock Turbo/IC and Power Plate Theory :)

KEVINS

Theory discussion:
I was sssooooo close to ordering a RJC Power Plate last night but I talked myself out of it. Not b/c I don’t think they work (I believe they work very, very well) but b/c I don’t think for my combo I would benefit from it. I am still running a stock turbo and stock IC (small neck still intact) and pushing 22psi-23psi and I still have no KR and I think my limiting factor is the turbo and the heat it generates at or above 22-23psi.

Any thoughts?
If someone can convince me that it will still help for MY combo I would prolly order it as long as it will be here by next weekend.

ks
:cool:

I can't tell you if it will help you or not....but equal air distribution to all cylinders surely can't hurt. :D

Ed

Just curious....how much extra heat above 21psi are you talking about? Trying to update my notes....

Nick

Why run the rear cylinders leaner than the rest? If you believe the RJC powerplate works, then why not use it? $60 insurance is well worth it imo....

The power plate simply WORKS. Doesn't matter if your pure stocker or 10 second screamer. Equal distribution simply make the engine more efficient. More efficient = smoother running, better gas mileage and better performance.

dude that powerplate has kept me from blowing my headgaskets NUMEROUS times...i would always run higher boost than i was supposed to and i think if it wasn't for this plate i would have blown those back cylinders...now i am smarter and watch my boost and knock alot more closely:D

when i was stock (this includes factory intercooler, turbo, injectors, trans, rear, motor) with mods including 3" DP, cold air system with ls1 maf translator setup, 108 race chip, slicks, 110 race gas, i was running 23 psi of boost with the rjc powerplate and didn't get knock...anything higher than 23 psi i was getting knock like crazy...(i found this the hard way by trying to run 25 psi on a stock turbo one time...redlined the knock meter in a hurry) still didn't blow a gasket...

ran 12.20 @ 112.25 mph on the 23 psi run...so yeah it works

FYI,
I am not limited by KR. I get no KR at 22psi. At 23 I still get no KR but the car runs slower and I'm guessing from the turbo pushing hot air at this point..

ks:cool:

Even at max psi, I don't see how the plate could hurt. You may have a couple of cylinders right now that aren't pulling their weight. The plate could help level things out. All I know is I use one and it helps me run 18-19 psi on 91 octane through a TE-44!

Peter

Originally posted by 99Formula
Even at max psi, I don't see how the plate could hurt.

Oh I agree that it prolly can't "hurt" by evening the distribution. But, since I don't like spending money on stuff that "might" help I like to theorize about the potential benifit first - if there is one. My theory question is since I may be maxing my turbo out is there any power to be gained? I believe that evening out the cylinders may help power but if those cyl's were lacking in that much power then I would be seeing KR, which I'm not.
Most eveyone that has bought one can benifit b/c their turbo has more left in it and they are able to extract more power with the plate. But if the turbo is already maxed can an ET benifit still be obtained?

ks

ps. I ordered one anyway but I won't know if any gains will be had b/c of the PP b/c I am changing so many other things along with it.:cool:

if you havent pulled the car apart yet...

....then just bolt on the power plate and see what you get... your car may run faster, or maybe itll start knocking:eek: ...either way id like to see how your car reacts since youre already maxed out on boost with no kr

"I believe that evening out the cylinders may help power but if those cyl's were lacking in that much power then I would be seeing KR, which I'm not."

I would have to disagree with that statement. Just because you're not getting any KR's, it doesn't mean you're not losing power or your engine is running at it's best.

i'm ok on the basic knowledge of cars and have a power plate, but an older hot rod buddy made a good point to me. i told him it distributes the air evenly an he told me"doesn't the intake act as a compressor and hold the air until the valve opens" meaning if only one valve opens at a time, why would you need to distribute it evenly when the intake acts as a holding tank with pressure waiting for a valve to open, is not every runner even with pressure? not trying to prove anyone wrong, but want to know for myself. thanks

This is changing the subject but to answer your question there are valves that are open at the same time. They may be open at different heights and one may be closing and one opening so distribution is not equal at all times in all runners.. This is why the plate works so well.

I purchased the PP mainly for security reasons. I will be running a lot of timing and puting a good load on the motor with the converter locked plus maybe increasing the boost a little so I hope the PP will give me some insurance which is something that I could use since I'm driving it 120 miles to the track..

I see what you saying, and I agree with you Kevin. If your allready maxing out the efficiency of the turbo and not getting any KR, then the PP won't do you any good. The PP requires you to run a bit more boost, but if your allready at 22, then you can't go any higher.

What you can do is up the timming. Lower the boost and watch your KR. It is possible to run quicker ET's with less boost it the timming is right. Ofcourse be VERY carefull with the KR when running high timming.

I've ran 30* before, but I wouldn't recommend it. :eek:

I've heard that more timing is very touchy (I'm will be at 32* next time out) and I will be using C16 plus the weather is getting cooler outside (50*) so if it holds together there could be an 11.xx on the score board or a smoke screen circulating the track..
:(

I have made many 2nd gear blasts with 112oct (checking boost levels) but the converter was not locked and I had no KR. I think it will be ok plus I'm starting on the rich side with the ME then will lean it out if I need to.

I'm pretty much pulling out all the stops that I can possibly think of to get it there and if it runs good and still doesn't get an 11 then I'm prolly done trying.

Here a small tip:

Spray the IC with ICE COLD water (alot of it) right before the run. It helped me when I still had the stock IC running in 90* weather with the TE44 at 22 psi.

That's what I do.. I cool EVERYTHING down (manifold, turbo, plenum IC, heads, etc) between runs and I wet the IC real good b4 hitting the staging lanes. The track officials don't like b/c it sometimes drips water down but oh well.:D

Originally posted by KEVINS
I've heard that more timing is very touchy (I'm will be at 32* next time out) and I will be using C16 plus the weather is getting cooler outside (50*) so if it holds together there could be an 11.xx on the score board or a smoke screen circulating the track..
:(

Good Luck Kevin!!

Unfortunately I was the last turbo regal at Scribner to leave a smoke screen circulating the track. Lost a head gasket at the 1/8 mile mark last friday:( 11's where so close too;)

Originally posted by KEVINS

I have made many 2nd gear blasts with 112oct (checking boost levels) but the converter was not locked and I had no KR. I think it will be ok plus I'm starting on the rich side with the ME then will lean it out if I need to.

Better run it through 3rd before you go ..... It might surprise you:eek: Motor has the most load on it in 3rd gear and you are thinking of high timing? Take it for a couple test runs before you make the trip and be %110 sure everything is alright.;)

Just watching out for ya.:)

Bo

Tuning in large part is about experimenting.
You can talk theory all day long, and what worked on so-n-so's car for along time. Trouble is theory, doesn't always mean dodo on the time slip.

Some guesitons to ask,
Are you seeing any knock?.
How do the plugs look?.
Have you tuned things to there best, or can you even tune anything to optimise things?.
Have you actually even base lined the car to be able to test what any changes do to your car's performance.