You can type here any text you want

Stock turbo inlet larger than 3"?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coelacanth

I'm in the process of fabricating my own intake, starting with a 4" diameter K & N 9" cone filter, 3.5" LS1 MAF sensor and 3.5" S-pipe going up to the 3" turbo inlet. The inlet appears to be a separate part held on with a couple bolts. I was wondering if anybody made larger-diameter inlets, such as 3.5"? Seems like it would be a logical and easy upgrade, and only a few bolts to come off.

I also have a few questions about a connector adapter and the sensor connecting to the elbow above the air box.

When I remove the airbox and 90-degree elbow, replacing it with my K & N cone filter, what should I do about that sensor? I could drill a hole in the 3.5" intake pipe and reinstall it, if it's needed...what have you guys done with that sensor?

I'm attaching pics showing my stock MAF connector, and the LS1 MAF I plan to use...what's the correct adapter or splice that I could solder on? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IntakeSensor.JPG
    IntakeSensor.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 106
  • StockMAF_Connector.JPG
    StockMAF_Connector.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 94
  • LS1_Connector.JPG
    LS1_Connector.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 87
The LS1 MAF needs a translator box in order to work with the Buick ECM. They available thru many vendors on this forum and come with plug n play harness. The sensor is a temp sensor. It's common to drill a hole in the rubber boot of the K&N air filter and install the sensor. There are rubber couplers available that are 3,5" dia. and reduce to 3" on the other end to fit the turbo inlet.

Thanks, I have my eyes open for a MAF translator, preferably the older style...isn't an adapter needed to go between the stock MAF plug and the translator box/LS1 MAF? I don't have the translator at this time so I'm not sure what cabling is required. I already have a 3.5"-to-3" silicone coupler for the turbo inlet, just thought some company might make the actual inlet part with larger diameter than 3" out of aluminum or stainless steel. Thanks for the tip on the temp sensor, I'll do that once I have all the parts lined up.

There are 3.5" inlets around for the stock turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get the adapter harness thru Full Throttle or Caspers electronics.

If you get a basic Translator no adapter should be needed to plug into a LS1 maf. A Gen 2 Translator will require an adapter, I believe.

TurboTweak has a new product called Axis. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/turbo-tweak-axis.427712/
Its a step up from a basic Translator and looks promising. If I had not just bought my Translator I would probably go this route for its adjustability features.

That looks intriguing. I prefer the simplicity of the original MAF translator over the Gen 2, that's one reason I was considering that option--but the Axis unit looks promising. Buying it in a combo with the chip is pretty cost-effective, too...thanks for linking that!

If you do go for it let us know how you like it. Its so new no one has done a review on it yet that I know of. If it works well I may just have to sell the damn Translator I just bought! Lol.

Back