You can type here any text you want

stock turbo porting?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buick83-T

83' T-type
How much benefit would we be able to get from porting the housings on the stock turbo without going to the larger wheels?
How much extra flow?

Well it couldn't hurt, unless you take too much material away and weaken the housing.

There's a lot of flashing and extra material in the elbow I would clean out. I would see about enlarging the WG hole just a touch.

I would probably check to see if the plenum outlet matches the compressor inlet. On the compressor outlet, I would try smoothing out inside corner of the outlet.

And while I had the turbo off, I would re-route the WG actuator line above the compressor (it's too hard to work on it when it's under the turbo and on the engine). And I would drill and tap the boss on the compressor's outlet to 1/8" NPT. (Here you can later add a thermocouple, or some type of injection, or just use it as another source of manifold vacuum/pressure.

I wonder if there are any better impellers that wouldn’t involve machining the housings.

Thanks for reply fc227 & B4black.

As far as bigger wheels could enough material be took out to put in the 60-1 compressor wheel? That was biggest if I remeber correct that the 84-85 guys were going to. Also would go with a good size turbine wheel. FC227 how much larger did you go when you put bigger wheels in?

Would be interesting if there was'nt any difference in the center sections of the 84-85 cars then we could port the housings then put the 84-85 TA-33(700 cfm) center section in?

Years ago, Lawrence Conley at CCP ported my stock turbo and I easily picked up 1 1/2 tenths and mph. I don't know if they still do that service but it worked out well. Paul

It is a T4 wheel "V" series, much bigger than stock. The exhaust turbine wheel is a Stage 3 "t3" wheel.

larger wheels

FC227 did the turbine housing have to be ported out to put in the "t3" stage 3 turbine wheel or was it just swaped?

Both sides (intake & Exhaust) where machined to fit the bigger wheels.

Back