stock valve springs

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
anyone experience the weak valve spring syndrome and then replace them with some 100lb sets? just wondering how much of a difference was noticed. i will hopefully be replacing mine here soon. is it a difficult job to do?

There are a bunch of posts that cover this thoroughly already. Just use the search button. "valve springs" should work fine for a search.

just did mine in january, WOW! do yours now- you'll love the way your motor responds to it. much better response, motor seems "tighter" now, rpm's come up alot faster. probably the best mod i've done to date.

Well I tell you what, I can't wait to do my springs.

At high rpms my car just rolls. Hope I get enough time soon to do them.

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
... replace them with some 100lb sets? ...
100 lb seems AWFULLY strong and could lead to premature cam wear.

Competition Cams

-- CC979, typical actual 70-72 lbs @ 1.700" or
-- CC980, typical actual 75-77 lbs @ 1.700"
-- WITHOUT the cups/retainers.

might be more appropriate choices, especially for a stock engine.

Stock springs have actual loads in the mid to high 60's lb .

Data credited to 87LtdT (Bob).

I wanted to replace mine also, but i dont want to use the 100 lbers on my stock motor. What springs would be good for an all stock motor and where can i get them?
TIA

Originally posted by 87gninpa
.. What springs would be good for an all stock motor and where can i get them?
TIA
See post immediately prior ;)
Summit & Jegs sell Comp Cams stuff ...

100lb ones are the same they use in an LT1 engine. How is that engine different then a LC2?

Originally posted by 77tech9
100lb ones are the same they use in an LT1 engine. How is that engine different then a LC2?
I believe many of the LT1's were roller-cam equipped. All else being equal, there is less frictional force and less wear on a roller cam. It's an "apple/oranges" comparison, though. The LT1 is a higher RPM engine, engineered at the factory to use 100 lb springs & live. Putting 50% stronger springs on an LC2 than the factory intended, with a stock cam, seems to be asking for trouble...

True with a roller cam, but I think if kirban sells as a direct replacement it would work just fine.

You cam will have shorter life with stronger springs, but that's saying your engine will have less life with high boost...

I'll let you know how the 100s work, has anyone considered replacing the rockers with a matched set?

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
so some 80lb sets from kirban would be fine on a stock motor?

Yeah, I had 100lb seat pressure on mine and will when I get it back together.
My heads and intake have been "WORKED" by Champion but my bottom end "was" bone stock.

i have some krban springs new in the unopened bag with the spring tool for sale if anyone is looking to buy some

I just put a comp 979 equivalent (basically stock equivalent) on my 180k mile slug last weekend, and....

HOLY GUACAMOLE!

I replaced my 73K originals 3 weeks ago...you will feel a seat of the pants difference above 4000 rpm...it just keep pulling hard.

mine have 159,000 miles on them.
i always just assumed stock GN's had no top end. thankfully im wrong. i love the pull up until about 4000rpm than my car just coasts to the next shift :D i will be definately doing mine as soon as possible. how long of a job is it?