You can type here any text you want

Stolen 87 GN from Mahomet, IL

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
VIN 1G4GJ1170HP445267. Was stolen from Hatcher's Cars in Mahomet, IL early on 4/20/09 (Monday). Picture of car was on front page of Deals on Wheels magazine, which probably attracted the thief. Car has factory moonroof, 45,000 miles, factory wheels, K&N filter, dual muffler exhaust, Kirban trunk braces, Illinois dealer license plate 18 at time of theft, black turbo plate on the front. Mahomet is in central Illinois, about 2.5 hours south of Chicago, 3.5 hours north east of St. Louis, and 2 hours west of Indianapolis.

I think you're right Rick....it seems if a car lot/private owner advertises they have a Grand National for sale, it's just a lure for thieves. Which is why it's best to sell in an open parking lot as opposed to giving out your address. Is there any word on if it were towed or was it a break in and steal? I'm also going to guess this car lot didn't have any type of security? Most places I've seen that deal with classics and cars such as the GN have them kept in a fenced/monitored/sheltered area during the night.

I think you're right Rick....it seems if a car lot/private owner advertises they have a Grand National for sale, it's just a lure for thieves. Which is why it's best to sell in an open parking lot as opposed to giving out your address. Is there any word on if it were towed or was it a break in and steal? I'm also going to guess this car lot didn't have any type of security? Most places I've seen that deal with classics and cars such as the GN have them kept in a fenced/monitored/sheltered area during the night.

They broke the passenger side window and drove it off. Security may have been lacking somewhat.

UPDATE! Car was found!

The owner just called me. He received a call from the Indianapolis police department. Someone called them to report a car driving at an excessive rate of speed. Police gave chase. Driver got away but apparently the car is ok except for broken steering column. The thief repaired the passenger window and put a "temporary" license plate on the car. The owner is on his way to Indy with a trailer to pick the car up. BTW, per the owner, the car is in excellent condition, low miles, has a new passenger window, slightly used steering column and is for sale:smile:

The thief must have driven it all the way east on I-74 into Indy. Glad to hear all is well.

Back