You can type here any text you want

Storage lay-up tips?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pvt num 11

Finally driving it
I'm gong to turn in my plates and not drive my car for a time. Maybe a year, possibly more. Any tips for storage, how often should I turn the engine over, how much fuel can i leave in the tank, those sort of concerns. Already have a car cover, and it'll be under a carport.

Fill the tank completely.

Use something like Stable in the gas.

Overinflate the tires or even better support car off the ground on jackstand(under control armsa nd axle)

Tarp or painters covers will keep moisture from coming up under the car from ground(sounds dumb but true)

thouroughly clean wax and lube all points on the car in and out.

Fresh oil before storage.

If outside plug all exterior openings cause critters like them.

later
Jeremy

Nothing bad... Just don't drive it much anymore and yearly regstration is a pain, as is the stupid yearly safety inspections. (Insurace isn't too bad, suprisingly, only 600 a year for it) Plus, with all these TTA's dying adn I only live 2.5 miles from work... Or am I being paranoid?

Wish I had known the filled tank thing earlier... Already turned the plates in, but I have the old personalized SPD DMN plates that came with the car, maybe I an make it without them noticing I have no tags...! :eek: :tongue:

Now I can do all the maintenance chores I had planned without worrying about leaving the car undriveable.

PVT, why don't you get classic car tags and classic car insurance on your car with someone like Haggerty ? The insurance is a lot cheaper and the car is exempt from emissions test ( in Pennsylvania it is I don't know about your state). The only downfall is your are limited to 3000 miles,but you are putting 0 on with it sitting. Oh yeah it would be covered incase something happened to it. No I don't work for an insurance company,
Good luck

Dan

I start and warm the car up about once a week, avoiding using the loud pedal, stick it in gear and tool around the cul-de-sac a bit before I park it for another week. In the meantime, I'm writing up a massive to-do list of stuff I want to do to the car, everythign from maintenance issues, TLC concerns and go-fast goodies, in that order.

I hate hanger queens.

Make sure the whole exhaust gets heated up or you will have to add a new exhaust system to the list. :tongue:

Jason

Back