Street/Drag car needs a transmission/converter/turbo

mactizen

Looking for educated opinions on what options will work best for me for my goals.

Car is an 84 RX-7, 3.8 swapped with a 2004r and te-62 turbo with a 3500 coan non-lock up converter this setup was in the car when I started the project.

My end goal at this point is to run 7's and I don't want to buy 3 transmissions based on increasing power levels so I would like to buy a transmission that could take me to the high 7's when I eventually make the power to get there. My goal for this year is to get a turbo that can make enough power to go mid 8's. Currently I want the car to remain streetable so keeping that in mind what would the people who know more then me suggest?
Car wieghs in the 2500 lb range with me and fuel.

I will be buying a BB turbo to promote spool on the line, i was not impressed with the spoolup on the transbrake with the te-62 and the 3500 converter.

Anyway please discuss/ throw me some options.

-Mac

I will be buying a BB turbo to promote spool on the line, i was not impressed with the spoolup on the transbrake with the te-62 and the 3500 converter.

-Mac

so you are talking 1/8th mile ETs ?? :confused: 62 and a 3500 stall converter with no spool up... prob a bad combo or tune or both .. what else is done to the car ???

Surely he is talking 1/4 mile....

If you are talkin 1/8 mile.... you have enough parts to go 5's in a 2500 lb car...a bone stock motor would go 7's in the 1/8 on a little race fuel... in a 2500 lb car...

7's in the 1/4..... is a dream without a vast knowledge of what it takes to make a regular regal run at least mid to high 8's...... of which there aren't many people that will share their "secrets" at this level. I would think you are talking 1000 hp to go 7's.... at least.... a TE62 isn't going to come close.

Please describe exactly what parts are in your combo and your ET (1/8 or 1/4) and HP goals.... pump gas... or race gas.... or pump gas and alky....etc.

To start I am only talking 1/4 mile, and as far as 7's thats in the future not this comming year.

On the te-62 the car made 464Hp on 94 pump gas and meth with a turbo tweak chip and a maf translator, i was on 50# injectors and was running out of fuel so never got to push it past 24psi. The car went 10.90 at 128 on a 1.45 60".

Anyway this year I'd like to make atleast 750 hp and need input if a built turbo 400 would be my best option. Any high hp rated th200-4R don't seem to be rated to handle more then about 800 hp, what I wonder is...... is that based on a 3500lb GN? In a 2500 lb car could a 200-4R handle say 1000hp? (pretending i ever made 1000+)

As far as goals 750+ HP on whatever gas it takes + meth.
Shooting high I'd like to set my E.T. for the comming season at an 8.75.

In this thread I was hoping to get informed info on a choice for a transmission that would still let me drive on the street without to much hassle.
As far as making the power i'll worry about that after I have a tranmission and rear end that will take it all.

Currently rebuilding my ford 8.8 with Moser axles/spool etc... converting the rear to a QA1 coilover setup and completing my mini-tub wich currently houses a 10x26 slick and will have room for a 13x28 for the comming season. Wheel e bars, parachute 12 point cage all going in for the obvious reasons of safety.

Basically I don't know alot about automatic transmissions buick/chevy or otherwise. So I need help.

At 1000FWHP, and 2500# = Powerglide.
3.8 a stock blk?? If so, maybe 4-5 spare engines???

Unlikely i'd be using the 109 block i currently have. I'd find/build/buy a proper stage block if and when the time cam that I make enough power to outgrow the 109's.

So any pro's and con's to different transmissions? (the 1000+ hp is hypothetical and for later years if ever, i just want to plan for it incase)

I hate to say this, but...

its SBC time, Small block chevy with aluminum heads and a good size turbo(88-ish), 400 turbo trans and U will have a better chance of meeting ur goal. Theres a crazy ass fabricator around here that just went 7.20 at 175mph in a lil Toyota, with a Mazda Rotary motor. The Turbo was the size of the motor so I know it can be done, but I wouldnt say his car was sreetable, but who knows. If u want to be reliable go SBC.

Unlikely i'd be using the 109 block i currently have. I'd find/build/buy a proper stage block if and when the time cam that I make enough power to outgrow the 109's.

So any pro's and con's to different transmissions? (the 1000+ hp is hypothetical and for later years if ever, i just want to plan for it incase)

IMHO.... at 2500 lbs.... it is a no brainer... a powerglide. They are one of the most popular drag racing tranny's in history. You can buy any part of a powerglide from the aftermarket....i.e you could build one piece by piece.... from scratch.... using nothing but aftermarket parts...

A properly prepped Stage II motor will sustain 1000HP as well... just pick one of the reputable engine builders on the boards.....that knows Buicks.

its SBC time, Small block chevy with aluminum heads and a good size turbo(88-ish), 400 turbo trans and U will have a better chance of meeting ur goal. Theres a crazy ass fabricator around here that just went 7.20 at 175mph in a lil Toyota, with a Mazda Rotary motor. The Turbo was the size of the motor so I know it can be done, but I wouldnt say his car was sreetable, but who knows. If u want to be reliable go SBC.

He is running an '84 RX7..... underhood real estate is going to be a premium.

Its never getting a SBC i'd pick a different car to swap that into and make it a mostly street car.

From what i read it seems my only options for lots of power and fair reliability on the track are a th400 or a glide. I do however have to keep it streetable so i'm not sure how streetable a 2 speed glide will be?

Anyone with much experiance with them?

Its never getting a SBC i'd pick a different car to swap that into and make it a mostly street car.

From what i read it seems my only options for lots of power and fair reliability on the track are a th400 or a glide. I do however have to keep it streetable so i'm not sure how streetable a 2 speed glide will be?

Anyone with much experiance with them?

They both have a 1:1 high gear... so cruise RPM's are the same..... I can't see how a glide is any less streetable than a 400. It definately soaks up less hp...... and with the weight of your car... you won't need the low 1st gear of the 400 IMHO.

Looking for educated opinions on what options will work best for me for my goals.

-Mac
$40-50K for starters. You will need to have a chassis fabbed and build a stout stage 2 to run low 8's or 7's. You will need 1400hp and be able to use it safely :biggrin: .

You are light years away from 7's where you are now.

The 3500 converter should have spooled that 62 in .5 seconds. Maybe a tuning issue.

If you are talking 7's in the eighth all you need is a little traction and your already there.

Fwiw John Schmidt in his red 2500 lb Opel is going 7.60's with a killer stage 2 thats probably is making close to 1500hp.

Blazer406 - what i am scared of is after the shift 1-2 (low to high) whatever you would call it, would the car not be a bit out of its powerband?

Bison - I never said i was running 7's anytime soon, actually i'm not planning on it being realistic for a while. As far as sevens in the 1/8 mile i think we can stop with that the car went 10.96@126.36 on a 1.46 60' the 1/8 mile was 7.067@98.29 ( i dug out the sheet) That was leaving on 10 psi from the transbrake. AS far as the spoolup being slow it may be tunning but I never talked to Eric @TT about it b/c I will have bigger injectors and a bigger turbo next year so I will mention it for that chip, i had no time to get back to the track anyway so there was no point to order another chip.

My best 60 was a 1.450 and best trap was almost 128 I was mistaken on my previous post. With the rear suspension work and more tire under the rearend hoping for a 1.29 60 foot (basically a competition with a friend) it may be out of my reach but you need goals to shoot for. Just as 7.99 is a goal, I may never reach it but either way its all for fun.

Blazer406 - what i am scared of is after the shift 1-2 (low to high) whatever you would call it, would the car not be a bit out of its powerband?

IMHO... it does have a larger split on the ratios..... but the main factor in your favor is the cars light weight..... a 4000 lb car would definately benefit from a 3 sp tranny.... 2500 lb car.... you won't miss the extra gear in between low and high....in fact.... the lower gear in the 400 will likely put too much torque to the tires... making them spin easier out of the hole.... one way to combat that on a light car... is a higher 1st gear ratio.... which comes std in the glide....

"what i am scared of is after the shift 1-2 (low to high) whatever you would call it, would the car not be a bit out of its powerband?"
Not if the gearing, converter, and engine build specs are carefully chosen.

What would you suggest for a rear end gear ratio with a glide in this application? Still stick with something taller? I currently have a 3.27 in the 8.8.

Bison - I never said i was running 7's anytime soon, actually i'm not planning on it being realistic for a while. As far as sevens in the 1/8 mile i think we can stop with that the car went 10.96@126.36 on a 1.46 60' the 1/8 mile was 7.067@98.29 ( i dug out the sheet) That was leaving on 10 psi from the transbrake. AS far as the spoolup being slow it may be tunning but I never talked to Eric @TT about it b/c I will have bigger injectors and a bigger turbo next year so I will mention it for that chip, i had no time to get back to the track anyway so there was no point to order another chip.

My best 60 was a 1.450 and best trap was almost 128 I was mistaken on my previous post. With the rear suspension work and more tire under the rearend hoping for a 1.29 60 foot (basically a competition with a friend) it may be out of my reach but you need goals to shoot for. Just as 7.99 is a goal, I may never reach it but either way its all for fun.
10.96@126.36 is a slow et for a 1.46 60'. 126 mph and a 1.46 usually equals high 10.40's-10.50's. Are you sure there is not some type of slippage in 1st and second? You picking up over 28mph from eighth to quarter on a 98mph eighth pass? Thats way above the norm for the quarter performance. Maybe your picking up a couple mph from the much more aerodynamic profile? You should be able to nail down 9's easily. The one in my sig i got one pass and went 10.88@126 mph. I launched at 6-7 psi. It needed 14psi. I only went 1.669 60' and about 101mph in the eighth. With the same engine in your car it would probably run 9's with no problem. Your not too far off. It wasnt too hard to build either.