Streetchip vs racechip

galoush

HWY2HELL
Just wondering last time i went to the track ran whats in my sig , with 23 psi of boost and a Reds 93 chip . The mph was consistant around 110 . With his race chip what should i expect and should o lower the boost (stock heads&gaskets) , What would Be the best all around considering my mods . 100, 107 , 108 ? Also could you get away with the 100 chip with boost around 15-16? Thanks for the input.

lets see I went 12.16@111 on an RA93 at 18.5# of boost

C16 RA106 21# of boost ( different track ) 11.14@118
probably would have went faster but my slicks are too short.

call quad air and ask. I personally would not run the street chip with that much boost. becasue the injector duty cycle is not meant for those levels of boost

Originally posted by TRENT THOMPSON

call quad air and ask. I personally would not run the street chip with that much boost. becasue the injector duty cycle is not meant for those levels of boost

I agree with that. Street chips are made for 16-18psi.

I am not a big fan of Red's chips but alot of guys out my way are running the Red 100 with good success.

Originally posted by TRENT THOMPSON
I personally would not run the street chip with that much boost. becasue the injector duty cycle is not meant for those levels of boost
I did not know this. I have an alky set-up, and run 20+psi all the time with a Thrasher 92. And I thought the race chips were designed specifically for 'race' use, meaning not desirable for street use. Aren't race chips designed to dump more fuel for crappy gas mileage? And do they have a rough idle?

In general, you shouldn't notice a difference between a street chip and race chip until you hit WOT, or very near WOT when the extra fuel and timing is present. I wouldn't run one of the street though since it is very difficult to keep from mashing the pedal in these cars :) and with a race chip you could do damage to your engine if you don't have the proper fuel/octane

I would expect a TA49 at 23 psi with a race chip to mph around 115.

If you are running 26" tires, 110 is getting close to the max limit in drive and may not see much difference with a race chip. The fastest my car would go with 26" tires was 113 and that was with the converter locked and new valve springs. With 28" tires its been over 118 in the same basic trim.

If you are running 28" tires now, I think you could see 4 or so mph switching to a race chip.

UNGN,
with 26" tires as you can see in my sig. would only go 118. now when I get my new tires how much MPH can I expect too pick up

It's tough to say with ported heads and cam, which will allow higher RPM capability. Even so, I would suspect you would pick up at least a few.

You can run as much boost as you want with a "street" chip, as long as no knock is experienced. The difference between a "street" and a race chip is mostly timing and fuel. Altgh the boost "curve" may be more aggressive on a race chip, when using either chip, you should control max boost by the length of the wastegate actuator rod.

If you have 110 octane gas in the tank and run 20psi with a "92" street chip w/o knocking, it is a given that the same car with a "108" race chip at 20psi, will go faster. More timing = more power.

c&cgn is correct. The idle parameters are usually quite the same in a manufacturers street vs. race chip for the same injector setup. Accordingly, you shouldn't notice a difference at idle. Part throttle cruising is when a chip runs in closed loop at its best. Regardless of the chip (well, most anyway), the ECM is always attempting stochiometric AFRs on the highway at cruise.