Stripped turbo bolt

Cutting the head off is not an issue as I can get an dremel tool with a cut off wheel in there. I’m worried about when the head is off—where to go from there?

I’m talking about how to get the remaining bolt out of the hole after the head is off

Once you get the downpipe off, a vicegrip and some heat might get it. I'd weld a nut on it and put an impact on it. Might even have enough threads to double nut it and get it out.

I honestly could care less about the turbo-reason for this is that I’m waiting on my 6262 from Bison . Once I grind tha bolt head off the downpipe, I still have the remaining threaded area within the down pipe itself. That’s what I’m worried about

I honestly could care less about the turbo-reason for this is that I’m waiting on my 6262 from Bison . Once I grind tha bolt head off the downpipe, I still have the remaining threaded area within the down pipe itself. That’s what I’m worried about

Mine broke flush with the part that makes contact with the DO. No bolt showing but all the threaded part in the hole still. I tried to drill it out with no luck. Machine shop had it out in an hour(they weren’t busy)

The remaining bolt will be in the turbo exhaust housing not the down pipe. Cut the head off and remove the turbo. Either leave it in and let someone else deal with it (depending if you are going to sell it), do it your self or take it to a shop to have it removed.

There’s a cover of some sort in the way preventing it from removal. Can this thing come off? What’s under it?

Attachments

• EBFEAA52-CCA8-4261-A404-06808943CDCA.jpeg
    EBFEAA52-CCA8-4261-A404-06808943CDCA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
Leave the downpipe where it is and just remove the turbo. The header is already removed. Just remove the oil feed, oil return and the turbo j bracket and slide the turbo over and out.

Wastegate rod too. Don’t lose the clip. Just grab it with players pull up on the center tab and slide off.

Once you have the turbo out you can deal with the bolt.

I would set it on the bench so the exhaust housing flange is horizontal and apply penetrating oil to it. Let gravity do the work. Let it sit for a day and then grab it with vice grips and it should come out.

Hold on.....am I freakin up here! I got a turbo coming from Bison...does the turbine section connected to the DP even need to come off....or am I just getting the compressor section?

FYI. I have a 4” down pipe, ATR headers and a 80mm turbo. Once the bottom of the downpipe is loose I can still v-band clamp the downpipe to the exhaust housing pretty easy. Just need to make sure car is high enough on the jack stands. Ya it is tight at the fire wall but almost acts like a fulcrum point once the headers and cross over are in.

df71ded0766ceebf00e23f0f3a34de18.jpg

File some flats on the head, heat the housing with a propane torch after wiping off any excess lube used, then get some vice grips tight on it see if it moves. Go in both directions with the vice grips, if it moves at all it will come out with a bit of work and maybe additional flats needed so an open end wrench could fit on it.

Otherwise Pronto's idea of a right angle drive cutoff wheel should work in there.