You can type here any text you want

stroke or destroke?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tim Barnum

Ok, I've checked with a few guys in our club on this but , I would like to know if anyone has ever ran a 3.06 stroke crank on the street? I have a new one and i can get rods very easy. The motor is a off center 4.1 and I'm going to use the wet sump pickup in the block for oiling. I also have a repaired 3.625 stroke crank that is questionable if it is cracked or if it is just a weld. And i would half to order $1000 rods for it. Both cranks are wide journal and the bore on the motor is 4.0". I plan to just drive it to the track and run 9's:D without too many street miles on it. Please someone let me know if they have any thoughts on this. Thanks Tim

With the 3.06 stroke and 4.00 bore you would have a 231 cubic inch engine. With the 3.625 stroke you would have 273 cubes.

Destroked Stage II motors.....

Destroked Stage II motors can and have made some serious power! Ron Fruchey of Ventura, California had a Duttweiler built destroked (215 cubic inch) Stage II twin turbo V6 motor that dynoed 1060hp @ 7600 rpm and 877 ft-pounds of torque @ 6100 rpm. Ron's car weighs 3150lbs w/driver and ran 8.29 @162.87mph which won him the SS/DX NHRA record at the time before John Gallina would reset the new record of 8.02 @172.11mph with his twin turbo Stage II TR. Back to the topic Ron's engine used a 4" bore Stage II odd-fire block and a very short-stroke (2.85") custom Crower billet crank. Also, if you check out www.harpersracing.com Rick Harper of Fort Lauderdale Florida has built a Stage II motor that displaced 222 cubic inches, so if you're interested in destroking a Stage II motor I would call and speak with Rick or Kenny Duttweiler.:)

Originally posted by Tim Barnum
Ok, I've checked with a few guys in our club on this but , I would like to know if anyone has ever ran a 3.06 stroke crank on the street? I have a new one and i can get rods very easy. The motor is a off center 4.1 and I'm going to use the wet sump pickup in the block for oiling. I also have a repaired 3.625 stroke crank that is questionable if it is cracked or if it is just a weld. And i would half to order $1000 rods for it. Both cranks are wide journal and the bore on the motor is 4.0". I plan to just drive it to the track and run 9's:D without too many street miles on it. Please someone let me know if they have any thoughts on this. Thanks Tim

Tim, I have thought about building something like this a few times as well...if your long stroke crank is really questionable I think I would do it. The de-stroked 4.1 has the potential to make more HP than a std stroke 3.8 at the same displacement. Understand that you're going to have to rev the motor to make power..

I think LC had a de-stroker in Black a few years ago and ran good #s; Duttweiler's built a few and I enjoyed seeing the combo in Gallina's car when I was out there earlier this year. The SS/DX cars were built to take advantage of a weight rule. If I remember what he told me correctly, Gallina's current motor is a 3.8 with a short stroke crank to displace 210 ci. All of these cars are running 9 or 10k RPM. What heads are you planning for this motor?

Just thought I would jump in....

I talked to Kenny last time I was there and Gallina's new motor is 207ci, and now uses stage II heads. It produced over 1200hp, and spins up to 9200rpm.

Rick Elam
1987 Turbo-T

I'm going to go with the 3.06 stroke and be able to sleep at night. Besides I was told that a shorter stroke crank would be a little stronger. I haven't desided if I'm going to use the Gn-1 or go stage 2, But i do have a set of nice Terry Houston headers for the GN-1's. Would I need to go with bigger heads to move more air on a smaller cube motor? If so, I'll be needing to sell these GN-1's Thanks Tim

I haven't decided which car to put this motor in yet. I do know it will need a cage in it.:D It's currently at the machine shop getting a checkup to make sure everything is in order. I'll have a month or so to decide what I'm going to do with it. Thanks Tim

Originally posted by Tim Barnum
It's currently at the machine shop getting a checkup to make sure everything is in order.

hey tim ...why is it that this post is the last time you mentioned this stg block then you started asking about how fast with a stock block ???

what did the machine shop say exactly :confused:

Back