Stupid question

pkschul

I'm going for my emissions tested Saturday morning.
My car is mostly stock (just a chip, k&n, adjustable boost, and a fuel pump). I have an emissions chip, but I've never swapped one out before. What is the proper procedure to replace a chip? I don't want to fry anything.

Also... I plan to change my oil Friday night and get the engine good and hot before taking it in. It doesn't have a cat, so I'm crossing my fingers. Any other last minute suggestions for passing emissions? What is the main ingredient in the G2P products? Is it some kind of alcohol? Should I add some to my tank? What kind and how much???

Thanks!

Paul

I'm not a big fan of additives to pass emissions. If you did have a working cat, the emissions should pass the ASM (dyno) test no problems. If you're going to replace the chip, it needs to be lifted straight up. Also, make sure you are grounded to something, you don't want any static eletricity causing you problems (I use a static pad, but you can just ground your arm to something as you touch the computer or chip). Remove the computer and remove the inspection cover on the computer. If you don't have something to grab the prom to lift it straight out, use two pen screwdrivers to gently pry the chip straight up. On one of the ends of the prom is a semi-circle indentation to determine the position the prom is installed. The replacement prom goes in the same way. It also must go in straight and should slide in with minimal pressure. Make sure the prom pins line up before seating the replacement prom.