You can type here any text you want

Sub wiring questions???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
I've got my subs out cause I just got a new, bigger box finally. The box I had them( they are dual voice coil) in had each red coil wire hooking together at the quick connect thingy inside the box and the same for the black, I never thought twice about this and just hooked up the subs from the outside of box to my amp like always, which is neg. to neg then to neg. of amp, same for pos. Now is that ok? Cause my dad suggested doing the same thing inside the box, neg. to neg(from speaker to speaker), pos. to pos. on one set of coils and then the other set to quick connecters? He's no electronic guru, by any means, he was just throwing out a thought. What would that do? My amp is 2ohm stable and I believe the subs are 4ohm.

Originally posted by 87gnblackdemon
My amp is 2ohm stable and I believe the subs are 4ohm.

If your amp is 2 ohm mono stable and your subs are 4 ohm then you need to parallel the subs together to have a 2 ohm mono load for amplifier. Use a DVM to check that the wiring is correct because like I said in a previous post, if you run an impedence load that is less than what the amplifier is stable at then you will run your amp hot and shut it down quickly.

Right, I have them wired in parellel from outside of box to amp, but is the way I have them wired inside the box in parellel? Each subs voice coils are wired together, neg to neg, pos to pos, then to seperate quick connects.

SUB
N-------N----------QUICK CONNECT NEG.
P-------P-----------QUICK CONNECY POS.

Same for the other sub.

Originally posted by 87gnblackdemon

SUB
N-------N----------QUICK CONNECT NEG.
P-------P-----------QUICK CONNECY POS.

Same for the other sub.

That would be parallel and that part is correct if each sub measures 4 ohm but you need to make sure that when you parallel the wires outside box that they are 2 ohm together. If you are not sure, check it with a DVM before they are hooked up to amp. Better safe than sorry.

Back