Subaru WRX all-wheel drive...

WRX's range from about $5k-$26k.

I think that you are seriously underestimating these cars. :wink:

By "fart can" I hope you don't mean an N1 style exhaust. It is the best design for a turbo engine, lightest weight, and unless it it an autozone/ebay knockoff much more than $186.00.
An example of N1 would be my $1300 titanium JIC exhaust, weighing in at 8lbs vs the 39lbs for the factory cat back.
Alley5.jpg

Nick

Ive drove one stock and well equipted.. both nice... Ive beat a couple...did they have smart upgrades? I dont know, I took one out up in Flint Mich last year and one down here... not from a roll

Are they quick? heck yeah, are they purdy yep. are they a 22 yr old Buick?...nope

Post your times with yours and lets see it on you tube.

I think you were reading way too much into what i was saying.... Any bone head with good credit can drive off the lot with one and think their the schnitz... you on the other hand sound like you made the investment and the smart upgrades and prolly something to monitor your tune with.

short shifting in my STi, 401awhp @ 6500rpm (redline is 8k). The 850cc injectors are maxed out.
YouTube - quick pull

With a blown ringland (only 100psi in the cylinder :eek: ) it was trapping 115mph.

I have a significant amount invested into the car (about $40k) to make a great overall package. Power is a lot of fun, but I like to stop, turn, be comfortable, reliable, and not use any knock-off or less than top quality parts. It is actually in the for sale section, with a full build sheet.
The ej257 (STi) can handle 500awhp on stock internals.
The ej205 (2.0 WRX, '02-'05) can handle close to 400awhp on stock internals.
The ej255 (2.5 WRX, '06+) can handle around 400awhp on stock internals.

Nick

short shifting in my STi, 401awhp @ 6500rpm (redline is 8k). The 850cc injectors are maxed out.
YouTube - quick pull

With a blown ringland (only 100psi in the cylinder :eek: ) it was trapping 115mph.

I have a significant amount invested into the car (about $40k) to make a great overall package. Power is a lot of fun, but I like to stop, turn, be comfortable, reliable, and not use any knock-off or less than top quality parts. It is actually in the for sale section, with a full build sheet.
The ej257 (STi) can handle 500awhp on stock internals.
The ej205 (2.0 WRX, '02-'05) can handle close to 400awhp on stock internals.
The ej255 (2.5 WRX, '06+) can handle around 400awhp on stock internals.

Nick

Show off!
Better stop it or we'll vote you off.
:tongue:

I actually like the Sti's (EVO's too)...but I like them better when they are behind me and getting smaller. I just wish they were American made like the Cobalt SS and the SRT-4 mini-muscle cars.

The guy I bought my GN from bought a WRX for the same reasons you mentioned...and I told him he's going to go to hell for it.:biggrin:

He was the second owner of this GN and had it for 16 years. I see him every day and rub his nose in his mistake....he agrees he should have kept it...

I bought it from him all stock and original for $6K, and have put about $10K into it so far. It wasn't a prime example of a GN when I started due to a few years of neglect sitting on his driveway, but it's getting there.

Adding things up....$16K for a low 12 second street tire daily driver aint bad. :biggrin:

So...when you going to buy your Turbo Buick?
...or do you already have one?:biggrin:

Don't decelerate in your turbo buick via a lower gear, or you will be disappointed...

Nick

Generally not a good idea in an Automatic...but....I sure do like the sound when I do it in my big block Camaro.

I think I flipped an Sti over once when I rev'd my ZZ502 at him while blowing past him after he pulled a ricer fly by on me.
All I know is he dissappeared after I passed him....:eek: don't know where he went...

cool little vid.... woman and I did a SRT last sat night... he was tooling along. got up beside him..got his attention, motioned to hold on a sec then I dropped back about a car and ahalf behind him in the middle lane.. then kicked it down...LOL

I seen him comming up on me a little down the road afterwards so I stuck out my arm and waved him up to roll past me...sounded real nice but no match

Show off!
Better stop it or we'll vote you off.
:tongue:

I actually like the Sti's (EVO's too)...but I like them better when they are behind me and getting smaller. I just wish they were American made like the Cobalt SS and the SRT-4 mini-muscle cars.

The guy I bought my GN from bought a WRX for the same reasons you mentioned...and I told him he's going to go to hell for it.:biggrin:

He was the second owner of this GN and had it for 16 years. I see him every day and rub his nose in his mistake....he agrees he should have kept it...

I bought it from him all stock and original for $6K, and have put about $10K into it so far. It wasn't a prime example of a GN when I started due to a few years of neglect sitting on his driveway, but it's getting there.

Adding things up....$16K for a low 12 second street tire daily driver aint bad. :biggrin:

So...when you going to buy your Turbo Buick?
...or do you already have one?:biggrin:
I have owned my GN since 10-13-00 (a friday). It is a TA49 car with most of the investment put into the suspension & brakes.
Bought my first WRX in '02 and first STi in '03. This is my most flamboyant one, the rest were sleepers.

I don't know if you have driven WRX/STi/EVO or CobaltSS (turbo or s/c)/SRT4. But the japanese automakers did a much better job overall. The new Cobalt SS is fast, and not until the '09 WRX came out was it able to be beaten. But the SS/SRT4 are horrible when it comes to ride, interior apointments, (looks are subjective), etc. The SS would be a great track day car, and better than the awd cars for mpg, but that is about it.

Not much else can touch GN power for the price.

Generally not a good idea in an Automatic...but....I sure do like the sound when I do it in my big block Camaro.

I think I flipped an Sti over once when I rev'd my ZZ502 at him while blowing past him after he pulled a ricer fly by on me.
All I know is he dissappeared after I passed him....:eek: don't know where he went...
I am not as loud as a 502, but when the external wastegate opens up, it gets pretty loud.

f'ing around in Vegas, about :25 into the movie
YouTube - AKA Rally 2006

Nick

I have owned my GN since 10-13-00 (a friday). It is a TA49 car with most of the investment put into the suspension & brakes.
Bought my first WRX in '02 and first STi in '03. This is my most flamboyant one, the rest were sleepers.

I don't know if you have driven WRX/STi/EVO or CobaltSS (turbo or s/c)/SRT4. But the japanese automakers did a much better job overall. The new Cobalt SS is fast, and not until the '09 WRX came out was it able to be beaten. But the SS/SRT4 are horrible when it comes to ride, interior apointments, (looks are subjective), etc. The SS would be a great track day car, and better than the awd cars for mpg, but that is about it.

Not much else can touch GN power for the price.

I am not as loud as a 502, but when the external wastegate opens up, it gets pretty loud.

f'ing around in Vegas, about :25 into the movie
YouTube - AKA Rally 2006

Nick

I'll be test driving cars in the next month or two so maybe I'll go hop in one to see what they're like. Last thing I need is another toy nibbling at my pay check and credit cards, so I won't be buying.

Those Ecotech engines in the Cobalts are something else. VEry responsive to tuning and bolt ons. They are coming on as the LSX / small block Chevy of the 4 bangers.
As the aftermarket opens up to them, I think we're gonna see some wicked Cobalts running around and Ecotech hybrid transplants.

I'ld like to see one of those turbo Ecotechs in a Fiero!

They are coming on as the LSX / small block Chevy of the 4 bangers.

Yeah, it's nice to see that domestic 4 cylinders are catching up after 20 years. :biggrin:

Oh and to turbokinectic, torque steer is one of the reasons why I left the FWD game. Anything more than 400hp and it's just downright scary. You have an incredibly cool and unique car.

STi's are dam cool cars. I've been searching for one as a daily driver, just because they're awd, which is nice for the snow here in detroit. Though, since they're a fad, I cant get my hands on one for under ten grand, even though the plain old one i'm looking for, is only worth about 6... :( I'll keep looking.

Though, I think what everyone is trying to say (indirectly) is, that it's kinda pathetic, that someone took a VERY anemic, old mans buick, with NOTHING to offer, not even looks, threw some little shi tbox turbo on it, and staved off a far more expensive, and far superior car...for a QUARTER of the money...
That's actually pathetic in my opinion... imagine what a slightly modded GN would do to one of those...

And would one with literally 30,000 dollars worth of mods beat a GN? Well... I would surely hope so....

Sleeper

I Can't imagine what was going through that guys mind when you smoked his ricer...that's awesome.

There are more kids with those STIs runing around here than mosquitoes. I've put so many in the rear view I don't even enjoy racing them anymore. I have more fun racing my girlfriend in her bone stock Solara (Camary), I get several car lengths on her then slow down and watch her blow past me...everybody wins. :biggrin:

There are more kids with those STIs runing around here than mosquitoes. I've put so many in the rear view I don't even enjoy racing them anymore.

Let us know when you run into one with an upgraded turbo and a tune. But then again not too many folks post "I just lost! 0mfgrz!!1!" stories. :D

Let us know when you run into one with an upgraded turbo and a tune. But then again not too many folks post "I just lost! 0mfgrz!!1!" stories. :D

I've not lost to anything yet but I've got a feeling it won't be long, I know two guys building cars around here with my GN in mind, one GN and one 62 Nova.

I'll post it up here if it happens, it would sting a little to get beat by a STI but I would post it. There is always somebody out there with something faster and it usually just takes a quick trip down to the drag strip to find them. :biggrin:

In fact there is another GN in town that I've not seen but I hear it runs 10s.

I've 'run' into quite a few. STI's that is. I know there's lot's of em out there that have 400-500HP, but as of yet, I haven't even been 'seriously' challenged. Not meant to flame, just telling the truth. The last one I ran had $3k in upgrades according to the driver, and it wasn't even close. EVO's have giving me much better races, but i've so far not been beat. I'm sure some day that will change though.........

Kudos to you Ben and QuickBuick! I was expecting the usual "dem jap cars can't catch me" crap and you guys proved that you're real car enthusiasts.

Hey Nick, when does your boost start to fall off with the GT35?

$3k will not get an STi too far, mid 12's trapping around 107-109mph.

My boost doesn't fall off. I maxed out my injectors at 6500rpm and the motor spins to 8k with the .82 hot side on the 35R. The car is for sale, so I probably won't do this, but the next owner will. A Bosch 044 pump & upping the fuel pressure to 55psi will get the 850cc injectors to flow about 1000cc.

At that point the turbo will loose a little efficiency. The 1.06 hotside would fix that, but then there would be more lag. It also has a TiAL 44mm ewg.

This is at 23psi.
DynoSheet.jpg

Old set up @ 19psi
dynochart.jpg

Nick