Subaru WRX all-wheel drive...

turbokinetic

This went down while driving my 3.8 SFI Turbo LG3 front-wheel drive Century. It's got a bad nasty sounding 3" exhaust with 40 series Flowmaster muffler. Car looks otherwise completely stock.

I'd just bought some items at Wal Mart and while carefully winding my way out of the crowded parking lot a red Subaru WRX (with loud rice cannon muffler) was riding my rear bumper. I guess he would rather go 30 or 40 in the parking lot and blow everyone's groceries out of their cart as they walk to their cars. Not me.

Pulling out onto a 4 lane highway the WRX cuts into the center 2-way left turning lane, and zoots around me then gives me a middle finger. I tried to accelerate but his AWD has much more traction than my FWD.

That move meant WAR. I stayed right behind him in town, not at too great of a speed (due to traffic) but eventually we got to the end of town where the road goes 2-lane.

Two cars in front slowed down, one to turn left, and the other to turn right. The right lane was ending just ahead and I was in the left lane. The car blocking the WRX got turned before the car blocking me turned. He had about a 2 car length head start. As soon as my lane was clear, I gripped the wheel hard, and laid that pedal to the floor. This was MY territory now - the open road, the straight aways. The mighty 3.8 SFI Turbo roared to life! Front wheels squealed on the pavement, front end felt like it was about to lift off the road! I was too busy trying to hold it in my lane to look over at the WRX driver as I blew past, and was doing about 100 MPH by time the road went to 2 lane!

I coasted it back down to 65 MPH and kicked in Cruise. Dingleberry in the WRX caught up and started to ride my bumper. Finally there was no oncoming traffic, and he tried to pass. I could hear his rice cannon muffler go BUUUUU!! as he downshifted. I eased the throttle open, not enough to kick down out of overdrive. Boost gauge came up to 11 PSI as that massive Buick torque eased on - and before long he was all by himself again in the oncoming lane!

After the next group of oncoming cars passed he acted like he wanted another taste of real power, riding my tail and acting like he was going to pass. But then without warning he jacked his brakes and pulled over to do a U-turn.

I was grinning for a long time after that!:biggrin:
Later,
David

That's tooo funny!!! He is still probably wondering what the heck happened. Does this Century have beefy tires or in any way look like it could run???

ricers...ricers

i have met some cool ricers but most are just plain stupid...i will bust their a$$ every chance i get whether i am in my daily driver(91 S-10 5sp 4.3) it handles most of them. the S-10 will be getting a v-8 soon:) so i can take the faster ones. ..............Bob

To me, the definition of a ricer is someone who has an import car and beleives it's WAAAY faster than it really is!

Someone who has done their homework and built a real hotrod is a fellow modder wether they have a GN, Mustang or import!

My car looks bone-stock, save for the 3" muffler!

wheels1.jpg

I posted a performance video in the hybrids section, if you are interested.

Later,
David

Good story. Your car is unique. Sounds fun! One thing to consider, most people here don't use a Flowmaster. Many (including me) think the design isn't good for turbos.

Good story. Your car is unique. Sounds fun! One thing to consider, most people here don't use a Flowmaster. Many (including me) think the design isn't good for turbos.

Thanks!

I've heard that about Flowmasters before. Something about they pass a pulsating flow very well, but restrict a constant flow. With a turbo on boost the exhaust stream is constant (unlike a n/e engine with distinct pulses fromeach cylinder).

What do you recommend? Space for a muffler is very constricted on this car.

I'm going to make a "dump pipe" to bypass the exhaust system for a test. One dyno pull with this as well as the current muffler. Hopefully next (this) week.

David

Magnaflows are popular here. Check their website, they make all kinds of sizes.

Now that's a sleeper!

All you need are curb feelers, and AARP sticker on the rear bumper, and a kleenex box and bobble head kitten for the rear package tray.:biggrin:

Oh....and a blue hair wig for the driver.:eek:

What a fantastic story, that butmunch shelled out 30K plus extras for useless addonz and thought he was king.

All through that parking lot he talked smak about your turd not worth being on the road and how poor you were that you couldnt afford a real car like his and how you should just have it towed away to save everyone on the road from having to get stuck behind you like he was.

made my day

Thanks for linking that thread!

Not sure if this most recent picture is on there or not:
LG3_turbo.jpg

I've installed a limited-slip 4T65EHD transmission to put the power to the ground. The original 440T4 was not even close to capable.

David

Very cool sleeper.
How is the trans-axle holding up?

What a fantastic story, that butmunch shelled out 30K plus extras for useless addonz and thought he was king.

made my day
A WRX with $30k in "extras" would walk this Century (no offense David).

OEM up & downpipes and no tune do not let the WRX have any power from a roll.

Nick

Very cool sleeper.

So far it is holding up very well. I've only got about 10,000 miles on it but have been riding it very hard.

It has a transmission out of a 97 Park Ave. supercharged; with some strenghtened parts in it.

Haven't noticed and change in the shifting feel, and the oil is still clean.

David

Yeah, that trans can definitely handle more than the original. I wasn't sure if you upgraded, or what.

Nick

Very cool sleeper.

A WRX with $30k in "extras" would walk this Century (no offense David).

OEM up & downpipes and no tune do not let the WRX have any power from a roll.

Nick

What I said was a WRX... paid 30K? aint that about what they cost? for a WRX STI? So lets just say 30K PLUS extras like a

Big fart can $186.00
Big woofer $1000.00
Mango air freshener 65 cents
Cant forget stickers
to let everyone know
just how fast and cool he is $15.00

:biggrin:

WRX's range from about $5k-$26k.

I think that you are seriously underestimating these cars. :wink:

By "fart can" I hope you don't mean an N1 style exhaust. It is the best design for a turbo engine, lightest weight, and unless it it an autozone/ebay knockoff much more than $186.00.
An example of N1 would be my $1300 titanium JIC exhaust, weighing in at 8lbs vs the 39lbs for the factory cat back.
Alley5.jpg

Nick

This car was definately not "stock" but no way the guy had added $30K worth of upgrades. I'm not bashing on the car, I am bashing on the way the guy was handling himself in a parking lot with people walking, and in heavy town-traffic.

When I say "fart can" I'm generally thinking about the mufflers Auto Zone sells that have a 45mm inlet on one end, and then on the outlet it has a massive 100mm or larger tip. Around here people weld them onto their stock exhaust system. I've even seen them with LED lights inside the tip. If the car had a real engine, it would melt those out of there in a few minutes!

What you've got is an engineered system built for your car. Two totally different things!

Interesting thought - having $30K to spend on mod parts - and the time to install and tune it. :)

Later,
David

IMHO

Fart Can = Anything shiney object with any over sized opening that makes a car make that annoying, "BLAAAAAAAh (shift), BLAAAAAH (shift), blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....." sound on acceleration and that "pippity....pippity... poop, pp-p-p-pp--pop sound when decelerating through the downshifts.

It's all flatulence to my ear.

:tongue: