You can type here any text you want

Suburu gas fill location

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jlat

hello Turbo heads; My sister got herself a new Suburu and they put the filler cap on the other side of the car. What up with that? In Japan are all cars like that? It will get some use to but it weird.
IBBY

which side is the "other side"?
my 86 Camaro has it on the left side, my 97 Cavalier has it on the right side, my 87 GMC pickup has it on both sides, and my Regal has it in the back behind the license plate.. Corvettes put it in the middle of the car on the trunk panel right behind the rear hatch glass..

there is some newly remodeled car that just came out where they hid the filler behind one of the taillights, like a 56 Chevy...

there are a couple of ways to figure out which side of the car the filler is on, without actually seeing the filler- neither of which is 100% sure... on cars with a single exhaust tip, it usually will be on the opposite side from where the exhaust comes out.. some cars, the little gas pump symbol on the gas gauge has the hose on the side of the pump that points towards the side of the car with the filler..

hello; Well that's one on me as I thought most american cars had them on the left or in the location of the Regal. I think there are some vets where it's behind the rear glass and of course the flipping of the tail light was way before me.
IBBY

my 4runner has an arrow pointing to the fill side...

2010_toyota_4runner_4wd_limited_review_gauges.jpg

hello; I know the 4 runners been around for a long time. What yr is that dash from?
IBBY

The new Buick Verano is on the rt side. My Altima is on the left. I hate the filler on the right side.

My real Saab sedan is on the right. My Saab 97x/Trailblazer is on the left. Most US vehicles are on the left.

The new Buick Verano is on the rt side. My Altima is on the left. I hate the filler on the right side.

i really don't care where it is, as long as i know where it is when i'm pulling up to the pump. i almost prefer it to be on the driver's side during the winter months- less distance to walk to the pump when it's -20 degrees out and the wind is howling out of the north at 30mph..

just for fun, i did a quick google image search of some different cars from the last 30 years or so.. GM cars are generally on the left side. 80's Mustangs are on the right side, but LTD's are on the left. 80's Chrysler K cars are on the right, but the minivans built on the same basic chassis are on the left...

the impression that i get is that they just put it wherever it fits..

I have a 03 Legacy that the fill is on the right and so I our Flex. Ford doesn't even put a gas cap on their cars anymore.

I prefer behind the license plate like our Buicks! That way it does matter which side I pull up to.

I have a 03 Legacy that the fill is on the right and so I our Flex. Ford doesn't even put a gas cap on their cars anymore.

I prefer behind the license plate like our Buicks! That way it does matter which side I pull up to.

the first time i saw one of those new Ford filler necks, my first reaction was to wonder how much sand, dirt, and other debris will accumulate in the bottom of the gas tank over the years after all the times that a filler nozzle is jammed into it without making sure the area is clean. the area behind the gas door on my cars is always full of dust, dirt, and salt. this might not be a big deal for city folk, but if you live on a dirt road it's likely to be an issue.

We have just over 10k on the flex and the seal on the fill door keeps the filler neck really clean to my surprise. I am not completely sold on the idea of not having the cap though. I did like how they sold us the car and didnt say anything about that feature. We had to figure it out when we went to get fuel. I thought they forgot to put the cap on at the factory. I also found out that there is a funnel that you have to use if you put gas in with a gas can. If you don't have that nifty little funnel you are screwed! I didn't think fill caps were that big of a problem that you would delete them!

We have just over 10k on the flex and the seal on the fill door keeps the filler neck really clean to my surprise. I am not completely sold on the idea of not having the cap though. I did like how they sold us the car and didnt say anything about that feature. We had to figure it out when we went to get fuel. I thought they forgot to put the cap on at the factory. I also found out that there is a funnel that you have to use if you put gas in with a gas can. If you don't have that nifty little funnel you are screwed! I didn't think fill caps were that big of a problem that you would delete them!

they went to the capless filler neck because of all the people that can't figure out how to properly secure a gas cap, which leads to evap codes that make the check engine light come on. also, i'm sure they save a penny or 2 on each car that they don't have to pay a union worker to install a gas cap on..

Passenger side fills are a smart idea really...if you run out of gas on the road and pull over (traditionally to the right...) you won't get run over filling up your tank :D
I had to turn my E55 around at the pump probably a dozen times before I got use to it.

You eventually found your little funnel, right??

the first time i saw one of those new Ford filler necks, my first reaction was to wonder how much sand, dirt, and other debris will accumulate in the bottom of the gas tank over the years after all the times that a filler nozzle is jammed into it without making sure the area is clean. the area behind the gas door on my cars is always full of dust, dirt, and salt. this might not be a big deal for city folk, but if you live on a dirt road it's likely to be an issue.

They make a locking cap to fit those new filler necks in one is worried about debris collecting.

Gotta make the cars lighter, race weight!!!:D

I call it a guys vs. girls thing. If it's a "Guy Vehicle" the filler is on the drivers side where it's most convenient. If it's a "girl car", it's on the passenger side where either somebody else will find it convenient after exitting the passenger seat, or everybody gets a good look at the driver as she walks around the back of the car,,, ;)

Back