You can type here any text you want

Suggestions and part numbers needed...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
For the time being I need to replace my OE muffler with a high flow unit. I realize that my choices are a crossflow to maintain the stock looking dual tailpipes or a straight through with a single outlet. What are the brands and part numbers for a muffler of either style that fit/flow??? TIA

I recently replaced the Flowmaster that was on my TTA with a Stainless Dynomax Ultraflo piece (#17266). The inlet and outlets are 2.5", so you have to do a little stretching to get it to match the intermediate pipe. Very good tone, no resonance when cruising. It is a crossflow unit and as such is a little more restrictive than a straight through muffler, but keeping the original dual tips was very important to me so I went with it.

However, after I installed it I noticed Dynomax #17227... it's an aluminized welded Ultra Flo which is given a MUCH higher HP rating (the SS is rated at 260 and the Welded at 427) and will also allow you to keep the stock tips. That would probably be a better choice performance-wise. Wish I had noticed it earlier. This muffler is a 3" inlet / dual 2.5" outlets so it'll match up with the intermediate pipe better. Again, wished I had noticed it earlier. :rolleyes:

turbov6joe,
What changes have you made to run that 119 through the traps..what kind of 1/8 mph were you getting..and you did this through the exhuast or open cut out..

As far as your muffler question..the intermediate pipe on our cars is 2.75 diameter and kinda restricted..thats why a lot of people change them to the 3 inch size..Most aftermarket exhuast setups for are cars are 3 inch and Mufflex make a 4 inch..

Most dont like the flowmaster setup for our cars..A lot like the SLP exhuast ..and other alternative is the Hooker..

The ATR I find a bit loud..which means you have to by speakers along with that muffler :)

Well hope this helps..the Dynomax on the post above sounds like a good muffler..Mine still has the stock muffler on it..

J.

Actually the TTA has nothing more than a TE44, ATR 2.5" DP, a Walbro 340M, and a powerplate. The runs were made through the OE exhaust on Nittos with a race/pump gas combo and alky injection. Oh, I forgot, it also has a stretch IC with a big neck. I was using a JC street chip and 24-25 psi of boost.

RAZOR-

his 1/8th mile mph were low 94 and change-

the 1/8th times were 7.99 was his best

the 60's were right at 1.91 - 1.95 ish

closed exhaust, thru the muff, and a turbo regal hooker test pipe
netting a 12.13 at 119.84 best pass

BEFORE the te44
it was running
12.70 at 111.~~ every pass- it was basically hitting a wall-
1/8th times were
8.28?? or 8.20 at best was 88.5 but consistant high 87mph passes-

JOE-
leave the stock exhaust on it, i want that TTA #14 to run a 10.99 with the stock muffler!!
should that be the new GOAL ???
:D

It very well could be. I might have the ATR DP sold. If so, I'll be placing an order with Mark for the 3" DP ASAP. I think with the 3" DP and some more tuning and Crabby's tires, a low 11 is not too far fetched. A high 10 is not out of the pic just yet....just might be a little hard to do with the OE rear suspension parts...we'll see???

Joe, your running some stout times on OE injectors..Theory says it isnt safe..but as long as your happy..then..I always worry bout injector chatter cuasing inproper fuel delivery,leaning one cylinder out,then kaboom...

Wonder what the record would have to be for stock injectors..I know the limit of the stock IC is around 128-130 MPH..Stock turbo MPH is about 116 MPH

I have the Houston DP on mine..and with an 18 degree chip get 115 through the traps with zero knock..I think the IC is helping your combo out a lot..and my car runs 2 mph faster with the dump open..My buddy Rob with same chip and combo as mine has runs 119 but he has a small cam..210/205..

Good luck with your goals..keep an eye on the knock and let er rip

Originally posted by Razor

I have the Houston DP on mine..and with an 18 degree chip get 115 through the traps with zero knock..I think the IC is helping your combo out a lot..and my car runs 2 mph faster with the dump open..My buddy Rob with same chip and combo as mine has runs 119 but he has a small cam..210/205..

Good luck with your goals..keep an eye on the knock and let er rip
Here I am :) I've done a best of 119.7. I have the stock intercooler and its probably heating up the charge pretty good now. I have a PT51/50# injectors, SMC alky kit, THDP, SLP exhaust along with the cam.

Thats with 100% denatured alky and 93 octane. My duty cycle in 3rd gear is only 68-70 :) Still have quite a bit left in those injectors.

for what its worth- and a little history

joes car picked up 0 mph, and 0 ET when he took the stock intercooler off, and installed the bigneck stretch intercooler-

im not saying it doesnt help out, but from one week to the next, the car was still running 12.70 at 111.50's

when the car had the stock turbo on it, we even uncorked the testpipe at the 4 bolt flange- and i recall, the car only picked up like 1/2 of a mph-

sooooooo--- also, this same STREET chip that joe is running in his TTA was the same chip i was running in my limited 2 years or more ago- and that limited had the EXACT same mods,{MINUS THE ALKY KIT}
was running 12.70's at 110.75 ON RADIALS---- but i was using sunoco 104 and ATR 2 3/4 DOWNPIPE
at the time, mine dyno'd 340 / 440
at the time, JOES dyno'd 350 / 440 but his has power plate-

isnt that odd that both cars running the same chip were running the same times, and dyno'd exact same #'s IMO

later i put on a te44 turbo and dynod 470 / 615 with 110 turbo blue and a reds 107 chip and MSD 50's NO ALKY

JOE puts on a te44 turbo and dynos 427 / 580 with 5 psi less boost, no race chip, no msd 50's, ----

IF, and i say IF joes car pulls a 121-122-123MPH with race gas and slicks on a street chip, im driving over there and confiscating that chip and taking it back so my dads WE4 can run faster :D :D ;)

and then looking for a tta,... oh wait,,,, see sig, i almost forgot that was the main reason why I sold joe TTA #14 in july-

peace

Which street chip are you using? FWIW, I'm running a Thrasher 92 for 50# injectors. Its just about perfect for my car but could use a little less fuel launching. But the low timing is just the ticket for my car.

Back