You can type here any text you want

Suggestions for rebuilding 85 stock motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

85begalttype

just a v6
got a 85 20bolt with all stock internals.

going to get it rebuilt over the winter hopefully, has about 240k kms. Upgrades will be including TA33c turbo and 3" downpipe, bigger injectors, alky, and porting intake manifold. already got afpr, ls1maf, translator, KN filter, ttchip.

Not looking for big horse power, just want my motor internals to handle it.
should i just get stock parts, stock type head gaskets, keep the crank and rods, upgrade to trw forged pistons?

it doesnt knock or anything, just want to have a fresh motor that can handle little over stock power. im on a tight budget so ill be staying with flat tappet cam 208/208

85 motor rebuild

first if you live by one of the Turbo motor builders get with one of them they all have there own way of getting to your results. If you are not able to do that find a very good machinest the machine work is more important than any hard part.
The TRW forged are good budget pistons...I have in my GN, but with the price that some of these vendors are selling floating WP forged pistons for i would go with them either way is fine. If Stock Rods and crank are good to go they are more than up to the task. I would upgrade hardware to ARP and new timing cover/oil pump. Good rings, bearings and a fel pro gasket set, I use the standard fel pro head gaskets but others will differ on there opinion. I assume you already have a roller timing chain and cam.
Heads: have freshened up with matching springs for you cam, new seals, mild port work with a good valve job all thats needed.

Do not buy parts until the block and heads have been checked by the machine shop. After checked out you will know what sizes to get.

got a 85 20bolt with all stock internals.

going to get it rebuilt over the winter hopefully, has about 240k kms. Upgrades will be including TA33c turbo and 3" downpipe, bigger injectors, alky, and porting intake manifold. already got afpr, ls1maf, translator, KN filter, ttchip.

Not looking for big horse power, just want my motor internals to handle it.
should i just get stock parts, stock type head gaskets, keep the crank and rods, upgrade to trw forged pistons?

it doesnt knock or anything, just want to have a fresh motor that can handle little over stock power. im on a tight budget so ill be staying with flat tappet cam 208/208

Some good advice above.
I have a few "opions". ;)

Based on the "TA33", you must be building a HA.
With that, I would make sure you get the heads ported with the TA33.

If the motor has good compression, replace the bearings and leave the rest alone! Save the money of the pistons/work/front cover (if good), and get the ported heads.
Later on, add the PowerLogger and a WB from TT.
Also, start looking at/for a PS header upgrade.

Best of luck.

thanks guys thats very helpful. and that makes sense that if if i have good compression then no point in replacing the pistons yet. just get the crank checked and replace bearings. and probably would be good to replace the cam, lifters and valve springs and check clearances on the oil pump

Back