You can type here any text you want

Suggestions please...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I'm in the process of doing valve springs and timing set, Now I know these two things have been beat to death, but with all the reading and info searching, I still haven't come up with a set in stone answer as to what springs and timing set should be used as stock replacements. my motor is an un opened low mile stocker with minor bolt on's...I'm basically looking at this time to max out the stock turbo performance wise...any info is much appreciated...thanks Mike

Comp cams 980 valve springs. They are #80 or so springs and usually listed as 980-12, for 12 springs.
I bought a cloyes true roller double roller timing chain in the early '90's that has worked well. Remember to take out the tensioner when using a roller chain or it will get chewed up and plug the oil filter.
I forgot to add make sure to set the cam position sensor after you're done with the timing chain install.

Last edited:
Most of what I have heard is that the roller chains are noisy. I went with a stock replacement set with steel gears. The Compcams 980-12 springs are the best option. You can call them directly. Also you will need to order new retainers and keepers. I also got a new roller cam button. I ordered the timing set from Rockauto. The rest from CompCams. If you decide to go with stock replacement you will also want a new tensioner, gasket set, etc. I also had to drop my oil pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only timing sets I use are Rollmaster with an iwis chain. A Pro Gear cam and crank gear would be ok also but throw away the cheap chain and get an Iwis. The Rollsmaster set with Iwis chain is about $100 more expensive than any of the cast cam gear cheap roller chain sets but well worth the money. I've never seen a set of comp 980 springs measure anywhere near 100lbs at anything close to the factory installed height. 75-80lbs is typical. There is no noticeable noise from any correct roller chain. There will be plenty of noise coming out of your mouth if the chain fails and causes engine damage. PM me if you want a set of measured springs.

Go double roller chain as suggested . I was just reading about someone that did a stock replacement and long story short it broke and cost him a lot more then $100 . I would also go with 980s . I did when I swapped springs the first time and they worked great. Just make sure when u do all this to take the time and measure install height and spring pressures . I have a set of 980s if you are Intrested . I can check the also check the seat and open pressures for you aswell

Awesome, thanks for the replies so far guys. I'll be ordering real soon so I'll get some pm's out shortly...thanks Mike

I've never seen a set of comp 980 springs measure anywhere near 100lbs at anything close to the factory installed height. 75-80lbs is typical.

Thank you for correcting me bison. I thought I'd seen them listed on here as 100lbs. I edited my post, no need perpetuating misinformation.
My timing set was from ATR back in the day.

981 from comp are the ones for 100lb I used them in my car before I went to a roller cam.

Back