Supercharged 91 buick park ave??

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
My buddy called me up today and said he ran across a FWD 91 Buick Park Avenue with a 3.8 liter supercharged setup, factory. I was aware of this car, but don't know too much about it. It's an Eaton supercharger, and it looks like a Bosch fuel system. Anyone have any info? Is the motor worth keeping? Also, does the motor bolt up directly to a rear wheel drive tranny like a 200-4R? We have several projects this might be a candidate for...

I had one of these in my old 92 Bonneville. 200 hp stock and 240 in the late 90's. Good motor, not sure about swap info. I put in a chip, K/N air filter and synthetics, pissed off many should be "faster cars" from light to light. Check the snout of the blower for excessive fluid. They all seep slightly over time and nobody seems to ever change the fluid.

It will not bolt to the 2004R but it does have the same trany bolt pattern as the V6 Camaro and Firebirds. The 91 should be the series 1 engine. I think the series 2 started sometime in 95 or so and is a little better for modding. I have the series 2 (L67) supercharged 3800 in my impala and have it pushing right at 300 hp with just a smaller pulley, reprogramed ecm and a little intake/exhaust work. One cheap mod is to keep the engine cooler with a cooler thermostat and cooler plugs. Like the GN's, you can sink alot of money in one making it go faster. That engine is a fun conversion into the Pontiac Fiero's too.

Yea, the later model L67's are better. Series II....

The Grand Prix guys are turbocharging their engines and pushing the same numbers most of us are. Just have trouble puttin it down, but 11's is getting common for turbo'd GTP's.

You could use it, but I'd go with a later model. They are a dime a dozen at the yards here locally. I can pick them up all day long for 150bucks with everything needed to make it run. Tranny for another 100-175 or so. And these are 98-up models with usually less than 100k miles. Although I have been seeing more and more of them in there from engine fires....hmmmm

Matt Golden is a thief.

Thanks for stepping on my thread, aszhat. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to topic on hand...it sounds like I wouldn't want this 3800 then, and stick with the series II? Is the motor worth anything to anyone?

Sorry for stepping on your thread but this guy is shady and if you decided to buy a Series II from him you would understand.

There was a thread recently on using the Series II in a GN. There is serveral Series II guys that responded in that thread and gave excellent advice in what engines to use and what mods to make. Hope that helps.:smile:

Probably not worth too much. I sold several blowers as cores 4 years ago. Don't remember what company or if they are still valuable.

Sorry for stepping on your thread again but...

Mr. Golden has come through.
I just reponded to your PM. I accept your generous offer. Thank you for settling this quickly. Sorry for being so brash about all this. To anyone interested in his parts-he made good on this so go ahead and do business with Mr. Golden.

I made a promise if he squared up I'd go to each post I made. Sorry.:redface:

Double check the VIN to make sure that's a 1991 Park Ave. Than check the 8th character to see if it is the number 1. If those jive and it truly is a 91 supercharged ParkAve than you have one very rare car there. Buick supposedly only made 200 of those cars. The SC3800 wasn't an option for anything in 1991. 1992 was the official first year of that motor in the Park Ave and Bonneville. Seems to me I remember reading that those 200 cars were all a light brown/tan/gold 2-tone with a darker brown bottom half.

There's lots of "rare" cars that are not desirable or valuable.:wink:

True, rare does not mean desirable....anyone ever seen a Turbo Grand Am....geez....or even the turbo Grand Prix...factory flops if you ask me.
I don't know what they were thinkin. I've even seen a turbo/intercooled factory setup for a suzuki swift in the salvage yard. Probably VERY low production numbers, but not something I'd necessarily lose sleep over crushing. It had the smallest intercooler I've ever seen on a car...and it was mounted on top of the engine with a little air scoop on the hood. Probably had .5 extra horsepower from it.

I've seen all sorts of factory "rarities" in the yards around here. Everything from a turbo all-wheel drive Celica, to a 60-somethin Olds toronado XS-100, to a turbo yugo, Buick Century T-Type, Buick Century Grand National(not supposed to exist...yet I've seen it and sat in it), and even an '82 GN about 10 years ago(4.1 4bbl car, t-tops, lears, and nothin but a pile of rust).

I wouldn't care to own any of them. Still neat to know about a car and appreciate it for what it is. Eric's turbo Riv's are still way cooler.

Oh yeah....

Hey Eric, you still got that whtie interior NA Regal?

Yep that's my old 455 car. I got it running than spun the rod bearings because there wasn't a baffle in the oil pan. I'm thinking about swapping in an alloy LandRover V-8 with a T-56 6 speed. All I need to do is find a good donor. Hey those Riv T-Types don't get any respect either. But if you want a unique DD than you can't beat these rare Buicks. :)

Here is the vin# 1G4CU5316M16XXXXX. So, if that's correct then it is a '91. It's badging says Buick Park Avenue Ultra and it has a supercharger on top of the motor, a roots style supercharger. It appears to be a factory Eaton unit. Photo's are coming. I'm waiting for my buddy to quit screwing around and email them to me.