Supercharged porsche 928 v/s GN

onefastjackass

Well I have to share my first street race with you I was out cruising around and was fallowing a souped up mustang convertable but he didn't want to race so I casually turned around to go home and pulled out and chirped the tires a little.And as I am pulling up to the light I usually turn left onto to go home next thing I know there is a 928S4(supercharged version) porsche revving his engine behind me and waving his finger like you wanna go.Car sounded like it had some work done to it .

So I pull out and go on a slow roll.As soon as we clear traffic at about 25 mph I get on it and so does he my tires broke loose then grabbed.I pulled him by at least 20 car lengths in a quarter of a mile.I start tapping my brakes and slow down for a stoplight.

We both stop at the light him behind me. I put my hands in the air like what happened and he does the same.The light turns green and he goes to the other lane like he is somehow gonna fly past me and we are at it again.This time we didn't have a full quarter so I beat him by about 15.This time my frount brake's were smoking from the heat of having to haul the car down from high speed twice.

Then we are both in traffic and in different lanes.With no place to go.So since his lane is moving faster i pull in behind him.

The traffic clears enough so that he can go between another car and has a clear road ahead.And he punches it and gets a pretty good headstart on me by at least 4 car lengths and is getting on it changing the gears and chirping in every one of the first three.I go after him and blow by him like he was standing still.

He turned off after finally having had enough.I will give him one thing though he keept on trying to find a way to beat me.

So much for high dollar car's with german engineering.:D

No 928's were supercharged from the factory. S4's were 4 valves per cylinder (32 Valve V8s)

Originally posted by UNGN
No 928's were supercharged from the factory. S4's were 4 valves per cylinder (32 Valve V8s)
Well you learn something new every day. I don't know alot about porsche I just thought the s4 stood for supercharged 4 valve.I did notice that it had 928S and then a 4 below the 928S

Thanks for the input.Always willing to learn:D

Originally posted by greg wilson
i think you seen 944 not 928 they did make a turbo 944 in the late 80s, no turbo 928.
Absolutely not!It had the indented headlights not the flip up ones and had 928s with a four below it. Just like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421689383&category=6432

Also somone already set me straight on what the S and 4 stands for.I think after doing some research that they had 5.0 liter 32 valve engines with 316 hp at 6000 rpm's. In stock form and alot more if slightly modded.It sounded like it had a stick in it.Which I think came with either a stick or auto from 1987-1989.Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

It sounded as if it had some mods definitely exhaust maybe more who knows.He didn't stick around long enough to be able to ask. :D

Hey Victa1, I instruct for DEVEK ;-) 210+mph daily driver will wake you up...

-89 TTA
-93Typhoon
-Ex 88 S4 Track Beast

A friend of mine has a S4. All that's done to it is a 3" exhaust and a straight through muffer. It's obnoxiousy loud but sure sounds sweet for an unmodified motor. It will beat the new Mustangs by a coupe cars in the 1/4 but it's a fight the whole way. They're not really geared for low speeds, it does nearly 70 in first gear. It would probably pick up a lot with a set of gears. It's getting stroked right now with rods and pistons meant for a Chevy application, a custom crank, and a blower. The trash talking has started and we'll soon know if it can beat a lowly hotair car.

It should be noted that these cars sell for ~$14,000+, which in my book isn't a high-priced car at all... :)

-DC:cool:

Originally posted by Sinful6
It should be noted that these cars sell for ~$14,000+, which in my book isn't a high-priced car at all... :)

-DC:cool:
With an original selling price of $43,000 and rebuilds costing $12,000 I would consider it a high dollar car.

Also if you can find a mint low mile S4 for $14000 I'll take one.More like 20K plus for a nice one.And if it's high milage or a heap then $14k is expensive for one that you are gonna have to put alot of money into.

The 928 isn't known for being a really reliably daily driver at this point (if it ever was). This I've heard from 928 owners. Most use it as a secondary fun car if anything.

That being said I'd love to get a 928 S4. Probably buy another GN before I do that though.

I had a Euro 928s for 4 years and it was an awesome car! Wasnt your 1/4 mile car but I tell you what dont try one on the freeway if its a Euro version. It will run you down. The car feels nothing but better and more stable after 150 mph. Oh yea it can also stop and turn. These are some added features most of us Buick guys forget. The 928 is the most expensive one to fix thus reflecting the misleading "inexpensive" price. I put $25k into mine in one year (road racing). I think the crack I was smoking that year was bad. :)