Supercharger and Carbed?

85RegalLimited

Hey everyone. Im new to the Domestic scene. I recently acquired an 85 Regal Limited Carbed V6 from a friend. I Would like to add forced induction but cant find any parts to fit the carbed motor. Im not using it for drag racing or anything. I just want to have fun with something. I dont know too much about anything over 4 cylinders so I'd figure I start here. My plan is to supercharge this motor and also upgrade the heads, or if its not necessary to do, I wont. I just dont know what Ill need to do in order to run a supercharger on this motor. Ive looked up many Manufacturers of superchargers and they dont have any application guides, so I have no clue as to what would fit. Or if anybody knows where I can get a Turbo setup for this, that would help too. Turbo or supercharged, dont matter to me....as long as I get forcefully inducted. Please any help is definatley appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

I would check out turbomustangs.com for a lot of diy stuff, they have a lot of info wether it be turbo or supercharging any engine. since its a regal id try to turbo but its your car. if not id definitally look at some prochargers. My buddy has one on his carbed monte and its a beast

if you can get headers, carb, and turbo off a '78 Turbo Regal.... they should bolt up. You'd need an intake to fit the high port heads ('79 and later). I think the headers from the '78 would work on an '85 but i'm not sure. You'd need a whole slew of misc parts. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me could chime in. I only have an NA car myself, but was looking at Turboing it using used parts like that.

I wish Vortech made a kit that'd bolt to the buick V6... but they only have SBC right now (I think that could work, but i don't have the $3K to find out)

Oh and welcome to the domestic scene.

I checked the procharger website and downloaded the PDF but that also doesnt say much about the specifications as to what motors it applicable to. The motors that are on the list are all motors that are above 250HP for Big Blocks and ish. Im guessing it would be a serpentine belt system. But it still doesnt say much anyway. I love racking out my brain. Dont you? Sheese. I think it would be easier just to Turbo I guess. Anybody know of any good places online for aftermarket parts for that type of setup?, or should I do the junkyard thing?

there's another post in this section about an '83T motor. That set of headers, carb, and intake should work, right?

Oh and check the vendors and parts for sale section. And then if all else fails do the junkyard thing

This is definitely a subject I have debated with myself about. I could use the 86/87 type plumbing and do a blow-thru turbo or do a custom centrifugal blower. The advantage of the turbo is the parts availability and similarity to 86/87 cars. The disadvantage is the clutter of the plumbing (if you're concerned about it). With the centrifugal you have a much cleaner engine bay in my opinion but there will be fabrication/trial and error to get the belt drive system setup.

Its really all in what you want....the low end torque of a supercharger or efficiency and top end of a turbo.

Aaron

yeah plumbing really dont bother me.... i seen a twin turbo setup in a mustang with the headers turned upside down which return into the engine bay with turbos on them. That was on the site turbostang.oldwestracing.com pretty sick. I figure i could do sumthin to that extent. i found the carb hat that will allow me to do it. So ill see what I can do from there I guess.

Also, another question that just came to mind...
The vinyl top on my limited... if I take that off , is underneath that just like the rest of the body "sheet metal"? Cause I dont like how it looks. And besides , its all tore up. I dont wanna pay the loot to get it redone , when I can give it the hardtop look.

Yes, it is just the sheet metal. However, the little studs that the trim mounts to will need to be cut off and filled/smoothed. Also, I have found on the vinyl top cars that a bit of filling/smoothing will need to be done where the roof and pillar connect. You see on a vinyl top car they didn't care too much what it looked like since it was covered in vinyl. Also, the adhesive that they glue the vinyl and padding to the metal with can be a bear to get off. I used paint stripper with good results. You will also need to find hardtop trim for the side windows and rear glass. You don't HAVE to, but it just looks better if you do.

Aaron

ok good. So whats the best way to get the trim off thats holding it on? Just pry it off with a little crowbar. I have a small one like 12 inches. Or would I be putting the body in danger of denting it by using a crowbar?

Just be gentle, and you should be ok. There's a right way to take off the trim but since you're not planning on reusing it, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Just work slowly and pry as close to the trim clip as possible.

how about putting a 4-71 GMC blower on it??

BDS still catalogs the 4-71 kit pieces

the blower drive kit
Blower Drive Service: We Deliver Horse Power! - Blower Drive Systems, Blower Kits, Blower Cams, Custom Carb Service

Manifold. (i believe you may have to supply a Weiand Xcelerator manifold for them to modify)
Blower Drive Service: We Deliver Horse Power! - Blower Drive Systems, Blower Kits, Blower Cams, Custom Carb Service

stage 2 blower cam

a 4-71 blower sticking out of the hood would look cool as ever and probably give you 300rwhp

I've been looking for that 4-71 setup for a long time.... I don't have any money, but at least now i can dream about it.

yeah i was gonna do the 4-71 kit. i even have an 80 231 ready for it.

9.5:1 .030" over sterling hyperutectic pistons,Nitride treated crank,.030"block,home ported heads,with manley stainles stock size valves,Weiand Xcelerator intake,Elgin Prostock cam 224/224 .496"/.496" flat tappet cam

should have made 300rwhp but i never got past machining the engine up. i never assembled the engine. even NA it should make 200-225rwhp