swain coatings

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
has anyone ever used them for coating pistons or experience with any coatings for engine components in our cars...swain tech coatings ??

Have been in there a number of times and they always seem to have plenty of work. Their heat coatings look amazing, the gray almost has a semi chrome look. Just a little crappy looking place with a little office when they started but moved to a nice building a mile away so they must be doing something right. And were always very friendly.

Here are some pictures from my build that were lost .
I had my headers , crossover & down pipe coated with White Lightning then VHT painted light grey . My pistons were coated with a TCB on top and PC-9 on the skirts . the combustion chambers , valve faces , back of exhaust valves & exhaust ports were coated with TCB .
The coated headers & down pipe were done a few years ago and look pretty much the same now and do not radiate the heat like they did before . That is why I didn't hesitate to try coating the main components of the new motor ..... to keep the heat in the exhaust and not in the piston tops or heads for a faster spool . DSCN0644.JPGDSCN0650.JPGDSCN0651.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0653.JPG
    DSCN0653.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 174
thx for reloading pics dynoman ...what is the main purpose for the coatings on engine components .. to just protect against heat . I get why o the exhaust stuff ...

thx for reloading pics dynoman ...what is the main purpose for the coatings on engine components .. to just protect against heat . I get why o the exhaust stuff ...

Wasn't it supposed to make less friction too? All this talk about coatings reminded me of this.

I my case , most the coating was for keeping the combustion heat where it belongs . No hot spots on pistons or in the chamber of the aluminum heads to help protect from detonation . I just followed the path from chamber to down pipe as far as high temp coating goes . The piston skirt coating was for any piston "rocking" in the stroker motor to protect the cylinders .
Have you been to their web site ? Lots of info there .

i have looked at the site.. not in depth but, ... just was interested in anyones personal experiences. thx for your time and input

Calico Coating literally everywhere. Back in the day they powder coated my rims, intake, headers, dry film coated the journals on the crank and bearings, combustion chamber, valves and coated the lifter valley area for drain back. The Hellcat guys are really into coating the combustion chambers of the heads just ask Petty Performance, I don't think that they do any hi-po builds without a ton of different coatings. I think that the only issue comes during mishandling or someone doesn't know that there is a coating on the part.