You can type here any text you want

swapping 3.8 into my 86 firebird

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Even with a decent fbody frame to start with, you would probably buy an old gn motor that needs work to be restored back to new which cost $$$. Then everything that has to do with the tta is expensive as hell. 725 bucks for a freakin wiring harness. And it don't get cheaper either and chances are you will need to fabricate some things. If your willing to spend the dough then go for the hybrid. (I did and its almost done but $$$ went into it). Otherwise, just find a 89 TTA and fix it up and you will probably spend less. Either way your gonna have a fun car but please finish it. :D

i don't think i ahve ever seen a TTA "fixer upper" they all appear to be
A: hella built, not for sale
b: cherry, 10k miles. 21k$

i know i can get this done for less then 15k. and as for actualy making it appear on the outside to be a TTA, well, i would actualy prefer it to be black with a powerbulge hood, and 82-84 TA wheels and a stock firebird spoiler (have hood and wheels, will paint once the swap is all done.)

however if i could get a running TTA for a reasonable price i would probably do it :rolleyes:

I'm sure you could get it done for 15k, probably even 10k or less with a lot of work by yourself. Problem is then you have a $1500 car with a lot of money and time put into it that you wont get back out. Buy the one on ebay with the funky paint job and sped a few k in paint and you have a TTA like everyone else. When you are ready to move on to something else, you will get you money back out of it.

I was going to go the same route last year with a 89 white GTA hard top I bought. After doing more searching and price checks I ended parting the car out. The car had way more rust than was described and I really didn't want a clone when all said was done. I ended up buying a higher mileage TTA, but couldn't be happier. The fixer-uppers/high mileage ones are out there.

well, i am not going to buy anything untill febuary, so i will keep my eyes open for one until then.

Yea, it's pricey. I just finished one, it's still here waiting for the customer to pick it up. The guy had several mechanics start the job over a 4 year period in PA and finally gave up on them all and transported it to me in WA to finish it up. I have a number of the special brackets in stock but still had to fab others which is very easy to do if you have a TT/A sitting right in the next bay to get specs from.

You'll be way ahead in time and money buying a TT/A but if your dead set on the conversion, I'll be happy to help you along the way, just MP me when your ready to start.

thanks!

i am looking into both. once i have ALL the swap parts priced out i am planning on adding 30% to my "estimate" if it is mor (or even a liitle less) then i can get a TTA in acceptible condition for i will prolly just get a turboTA. then i will own "a piece of history"

if nothing else all the work getting a price quote together for the swap will be justification for buying a TTA. spending 15 grand on a 16 year old car seems crazy to most people, if i say "it would have cast me 12 to build myself" and have numbers to back it up they will all shut up :cool:

anyway, i will deffinatly save this thread, if/when i do start the swap i will send you some questions :)

Back