You can type here any text you want

Sway Bar?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well I have a 396 in my 86 El Camino right now. I do not know horespower since I never dyno tested it. So it is kinda up in the air, but when I bought the enigne the guy told me it had 550. So who knows what it really has.

Well I want a better riding El Camino then stock since I added a 396 in it. When I really hit the gas sometimes the rear of the car turns and I can't control it unless i let go of the gas. When I go around turns the car is perfectly fine and I could be doing 40 around a turn with no problems. So better driving is one and then when I go to the track I know the car will be perfectly fine. I can go from the street to the strip with no problem at all. I would guess my El Camino does low 11 to high 10 seconds, but like I said who knows unless I really take it to the dyno and then strip.

Well I have a 396 in my 86 El Camino right now. I do not know horespower since I never dyno tested it. So it is kinda up in the air, but when I bought the enigne the guy told me it had 550. So who knows what it really has.

Gotta love horsepower ratings when buying a car or engine. Usually get an extra 100 horse if the guy really needs to sell it...LOL If he knows his stuff, might not be to far off, if he is the typical car guy, he not within a country mile. Pull up a computer dyno program and feed in your numbers. They are not too bad. I have seen some within 10-15 HP of what it really made on a dyno. Some cannot account for good port and polish and a few other mods.

Thanks
Coach

coach you lost me other then that dynos are not totally accurate.

A properly calibrated dyno is dead on. Some people in the world tend to "fudge" their dynos to show more than real numbers( Joe Sherman ). His dyno always reads at least 100 HP higher than any other. I have talked to several over the last 15 years that get a real kick out of the magazine articles tested on his. Makes for better reading. I always use those pages first when I run short on paper in the outhouse...LOL
What I was telling you to do is find a computer dyno program and input your engine components and see what it says. Summit sells one that is pretty close. A friend of mine has it and we have run several of our builds on it. It has been as close as 10HP. In my town , we have a NASCAR approved dyno that belongs to Alan Krem, an engine builder for Ford Motorsports for years, so we know what our engines make for real. I was simply stating that if you are unsure of the power you are making, without putting your engine on a real dyno, try a computer program.

Sorry for the confusion.
Coach

Well I will be going to Axcelerated Motorsports, Inc. since they are right around the corner of me. They are always at the Carsile show and they are know to be vary good. Me trying to wire up a computer with all of the hardware is beyond me as of right now. Maybe in a few years. As long as I get a ruff estimate like 600 or 450 I will know it will be around their.

Back