You can type here any text you want

Sway Bar?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Ahhhh. Makes perfect sense. I can totally see that. Though, one thing that has always been on my mind... this "flimsy" issue with our factory control arms... I was messin with mine as soon as I got my gn, and I don't think they're that flimsy at all. They're quite heavy duty in fact. And, there have been many people here that have gone really fast on stock lca's.. :)
(I'm still going to box mine anyways lol)

I just bought upper and ower control arms for my El Camino. So would an Hr bar destroy the new one I bought?

Was running a 10.70 @ 125mph, 1.58 60' time with a 1.5" BMR sway bar on my 78 Malibu, pulling both tires, and plenty nice street manners. :) And yes I did have BMR uppers/lowers.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat. I'm just saying my BMR cost $150 and worked great for a street/strip car. I just put a 1 3/8" metco from fulll throttle on my GN which is 95/5% street/strip. I'll save the $509 for stuff that will truly help my performance on the street. :)

Tell me how it destroys the lca's. I want to know what to look for, to keep an eye out on mine.

A large bar crushes the stock arms in the middle and tries to bend them during suspension deflection.

Just boxing them isn't enough. You have to box the swaybar bolt holes, too.

But this only take care of the crushing. The bending will still loosen the cups in the arms.

My ATR bar destroyed my arms in less than 10,000 miles of daily driving. When I took them off, the bushing cups could be removed/rotated by hand and the bars were visually bent/bowed.

I just bought upper and ower control arms for my El Camino. So would an Hr bar destroy the new one I bought?

HR bar doesn't effect the Control arms. Only the bars that bolt onto the arms will affect them, and then it really only effects bars with pressed in bushing cups or are crushable at bolt holes like the stockers.

I actually plan on boxing the holes as well. With 1l3 rubber will that be good enough for the stockers?

HR bar doesn't effect the Control arms. Only the bars that bolt onto the arms will affect them, and then it really only effects bars with pressed in bushing cups or are crushable at bolt holes like the stockers.

Hey tuggy, here's something to think about. The wheelbase on an El Camino is longer than any other G body, at least 6" longer than the Regal. That may affect the HR bar. The GN fuel lines and the Pypes Regal exhaust won't fit without some lengthening (ask me how I know:mad:). Before you spend any coin, contact HR parts and tell them your wheelbase is longer. I'm sure they will tell you straight up if it wouldn't work.

Does Hotchkis make good sway bars too for g-body cars. I would love to get a HR, but for 500+ I can do some much for my car

Here's what I did, and you should too. If you got an 8.5 rear, chances are it had a swaybar on the donor vehicle. Use that to start with. The HR piece is nice, but unless you drag race and launch hard enough to lift a tire, use the $500 on something else. The stock GN bar is way bigger than the one on a 7.5 Elky rear, so it's an upgrade from what you had. If you get to the point you can't hook, maybe then go for the HR bar. You haven't mentioned what kind of torque/h.p. you are making, or even engine size you have. You sure don't need one for a 305, and did they even make a 350 in 86?

I have the FTSS 1.375" swaybar on my GN. Combined with dual airbags and boxed stock lowers (with swaybar supports welded in, & rubber bushings), my car rides nice and handles well too. And they are priced great. Best 60' time to date is a 1.57 on the 255/50/16 MT DRs, with GTAs on the front AND A 36MM FRONT SWAYBAR... Car weighs roughly 3600lbs. with me and a half tank of fuel.

I do like the H&R bar alot. It works great. A good friend of mine has one on his T. But for a low 12/high 11 car, I really dont think its needed. Maybe in the low 11s, but not untill then.

Put the $509 to better use on your car.

You never have said what your goals are for you El Camino. A lot of these Buick guys are all about fast. If you're just doing a mild street build
the HR piece is not really necessary. But if you're like me, it does look cool and that's reason enough to get one, if your budget allows. Keep it simple and you can always get one later.

Back